New and Confussed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and Confussed

Hi everyone I am new here could use some advise, I have been reading all I can about scoliosis, bracing etc. and I am lost about the curve degrees and how they just watch and see intill the curve gets to 20 to 30 before treatment. My concern is she is getting worse she is now 16 with only a 14 degree mulitcurved it was her 3rd xray she started out at 8 degree 1 year ago they also now say she has spina bifida occulta of S1. On her first xray she had not started her period she started right before her 2nd xray,
    Her shoulder has dropped from the time between her 2nd xray and 3rd her back always hurts in the morning and it looks like her hip has dropped now with hip and knee pain. In June it's time for her 4th xray but her doctor got her into Shriner's Hospital (he was concerned)
    I had another child treated on the burn unit at Shriner's so I know how good they are.
    But if they want to brace her is that really a good idea??? my daughter is highly active but the pain now in her hip hurts more when she runs but she still does it I don't stop her from being active I know it's good for her
    will they wait till she is at 20 or 30 degrees she is already with a dropped shoulder at 14 degrees and her hip now dropped

sorry so long
    any thoughts advice would be greatly appreated
    momtwins

New ad concerned

HI. I am 19 years old and from the UK. I was diagnosed with Scoliosis at 2 months, and since then I have been in and out of Plaster casts and braces up until I was 13. Casts at first may seem like a dreaded experience but you get used to them eventually, and when the period of treatment is over, even after the first one you WILL notice a difference, but don't expect it to go away straight away. In the UK doctors also wait until a curve is around 20 degrees, but some decide that earlier is better. I also had a dropped shoulder but since the casts you cannot notice there is anything wrong. Most doctors allow patients to wear their casts only of a night and not during the day, which for a teenager is a good thing especially when at school. I was told to keep active and that working and keeping fit could help the recovery of my spine by making it stronger and less likely to curve further. I am able to do most things everybody else does, and I was also told that I could do Karate.
    Hope this eases some tension about the casts.

Comment

Originally posted by MomTwins
      Hi everyone I am new here could use some advise, I have been reading all I can about scoliosis, bracing etc. and I am lost about the curve degrees and how they just watch and see intill the curve gets to 20 to 30 before treatment. My concern is she is getting worse she is now 16 with only a 14 degree mulitcurved it was her 3rd xray she started out at 8 degree 1 year ago they also now say she has spina bifida occulta of S1. On her first xray she had not started her period she started right before her 2nd xray,
      Her shoulder has dropped from the time between her 2nd xray and 3rd her back always hurts in the morning and it looks like her hip has dropped now with hip and knee pain. In June it's time for her 4th xray but her doctor got her into Shriner's Hospital (he was concerned)
      I had another child treated on the burn unit at Shriner's so I know how good they are.
      But if they want to brace her is that really a good idea??? my daughter is highly active but the pain now in her hip hurts more when she runs but she still does it I don't stop her from being active I know it's good for her
      will they wait till she is at 20 or 30 degrees she is already with a dropped shoulder at 14 degrees and her hip now dropped

sorry so long
      any thoughts advice would be greatly appreated
      momtwins
      It seems like scoliosis is a kind of catch 22. The earlier that you brace the better (stop it small) BUT, there is a good chance that a small curve might stop progressing on its own without bracing so if you brace too early, you could be wearing a brace for nothing.
      I guess thats why they usually wait for 24deg.

Comment

Working...
      X