Pain Continues...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain Continues...........

I have a painful right thorasic curve probably now at around over 65 degrees. I have tried almost everything for pain and currently going to a pain management doctor and I am getting fed up with that. These injections do nothing and if they do its not long. I feel like getting all these shots might do damage and I have a appointment tommorrow and will speak up. I wish there was something that worked out there for pain.........

Hi!
    This is actually my first post but I just had to reply to your message. I have two curvatures (thoracic and lumbar) and both are presently over 90 degrees. For many years I poisoned my body with pain medication and then about four years ago I discovered acupuncture . My weekly treatments have truly changed my life. In fact, I have been able to do things I couldn't do for years....like play a four manual pipe organ again! I realize that there will probably come a time when the acupuncture alone will not control the pain, but for now, I am coping. I have been told that surgery is out of the question since my heart and lungs have already been affected so I am presently taking it one day at a time.
    Take care.

Comment

Hi,
      Just a thought, but have either of you ever tried yoga? I just found a wonderful dvd "Yoga for Scoliosis" by Elise Browning Miller. She uses yoga as a way to minimize the effects of her scoliosis and the excercises are geared to help reduce pain and improve physiological functions. I know I feel a reduction in lower back pain after doing the stretches. It's hard getting into a daily routine but perhaps a little in morning/little at night might make a difference. If you would like to check it out, the website is www.yogaforscoliosis.com
      Flowerpower

Comment

CurvyLady

Hi CurvyLady,

Why is surgery not a option for you anymore? How have your heart and lungs been compromised already? Thanks for sharing.

Becky

Comment

Hi Flowerpower,

No I haven't tried yoga. At the moment I am still working full-time and it would be really hard to fit it into my routine. I am planning on leaving work very soon though and checking out yoga is definitely on my retirement to do list! Although I have never tried it, I have always been particularly interested in yoga since it appears to be a way to not only exercise your body, but also your mind and spirit and I like that idea! I would assume too that it must be very beneficial to breathing which is something I definitely need right now.

I checked out that site you mentioned. That DVD looks VERY interesting. I may very well give it a try.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

newby-what works for me

This is my first posting. I experience chronic pain in my neck and lower back. I know that no matter how much it hurts is essential for me to stretch. I have created a routine of yoga/stretching that is correct for me. I am now integrating pilates, which is incredible. Strengthening the muscles does help with some of the pain and getting oxygen is essential.
            I also use accupunture, craniosacral, osteopathy, massage, reflexology and meditation. Without these I would be crazy....
            I had my first surgery at 12 years old 69 curve/57 curve on the bottom. Fusion with rods. 1996 broke both the rods-1997 rod removal and replacement from front and back. Brace 12-15 months both times.
            Turned to cleansing and natural ways. Bellydanced till recently....now pilates..sometinhg I can do for the rest of my life.....
            In the last year the pain is at times, well it takes over. I am currently not working......looking at the emotional aspects of these experiences-even to what caused this in the first place. Was reading book on chronic pain-talks about pain being a spiritual process-this has been my approach, otherwise I find it to overwhleming....
            Thinking I will need to have rods removed-I feel my body is rejecting them..
            Currently applying for disability.......
            So I am swaying.....
            Movement is essential even if it hurts, it creates joy and joy it seems to be the best medicine......a healthy diet, good fats fight inflammation, bad fats create inflamation.......lots of water......
            I am grateful to have found this sight.....
            peace,
            Star Kolb
            Venice, ca

Comment

Pain Continues

Originally posted by GHD1959
              I have a painful right thorasic curve probably now at around over 65 degrees. I have tried almost everything for pain and currently going to a pain management doctor and I am getting fed up with that. These injections do nothing and if they do its not long. I feel like getting all these shots might do damage and I have a appointment tommorrow and will speak up. I wish there was something that worked out there for pain.........
              I have repeatedly refused injections for pain. I think they are a source of profit for whoever gives the injections while doing nothing or little for the patient. Refuse them and ask for some other form of pain relief and/or treatment. I was prescribed 20 mg of Methadone daily plus Duraqesic (Fentenal) patches every 3 days. They give me some relief on the first day of new patches, but at least I can walk for awhile though not much or far.

But I agree, the injections which are probably a steroid, do not work for many and I know people who have had adverse reactions. Incidentally, it seems to freak everyone out that I am getting the Fentenal patches but they don't tell me to quit nor do they offer alternatives. You do need good insurance for them as they are very expensive.
              Geri

Comment

Working...
              X