Sleep # bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep # bed

Does anyone here have the Sleep Number bed? We went to the Sleep Number store the other night and tried them out. We think it might be a good choice for us and I thought I'd check here to see if anyone here has one or knows someone who does...

Thanks!

Yes, I have the bed. It takes a while to get used to. But more than anything, it get really hot and sweaty in the bed. I dont know how much your surgical wound has has healed, but if it is not fully healed, it may get moist with sweat and I'm guessing that may lead to a possible infection (i'm no doctor...i'm just guessing). I ended up putting an extra thick mattress pad on top of the bed, and that makes it a little less hot, although the 'effectiveness' of the bed is then somewhat reduced.
    But if your wound is healed, and you tend to sweat very little...by all means, go for it!

Comment

Central...do you have the mattress with the pillowtop already installed or a traditional top? My incision is fully healed, so that won't be an issue for me, but my husband is always warm when sleeping.

Comment

sleep #

I have a sleep number as px by my doctor. By the way if your physician writes a px for medical necessity it is fully tax deductable. I love my bed. I was unable to sleep for months and now most nights I sleep. It was amazing how the pressure is relieved from sensitive spots. I purchased one of the higher end beds with more swedish foam next to the body.

Let me know what you think.
        Christine

Comment

I bought the one without a pillow top, because i thought it would be better support. But ended up putting a pretty thick mattress pad on top of it because of the heat. I suggest you go for the one with the cushion top.
          I dont know if using it is beneficial to the back, but after you use it and return to a traditional mattress, it does feel very uncomfortable.

Comment

By the way, how has your recovery progressed since the last time you gave us an update? Like I told you, I am following your case most closely, as yours is most similar to mine. Only then do i want to make a decision about surgery.

Comment

I don't have that type bed but bought a Tempurpedic bed (also the pillow) a little over a year ago and it was the best investment ever. It also takes a little while to get used to, and my husband feels it's a little warm, but we both love it. For me, it really does help the aches and pains, especially in the hip area. I could not even get out of bed in the morning, let alone turn in the middle of the night, but now it's 80% better. I highly recommend it. Sleep well............... LYNN
              1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
              2000 Partial Rod Removal
              2001 Right Scapular Resection
              12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
              06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Thanks for all of your input. I think we're going to bite the bullet and get one. I'll have to ask my doc about writing an rx...couldn't hurt to ask right!?

BTW: My recovery is coming along. Less pain the shoulderblade area now and more in the low back area along the top of my hips, but I'm thinking this has to do more with my chair at work as I don't feel the pain as much on weekends. Luckily, we have on-site PT's who are evaluating my workstation to get me anything I need to be comfortable.

I'm becoming more and more active, but also feeling a bit disappointed as I was pretty active prior to surgery and feeling a bit regretful right now...but that is to be expected because I didn't have a lot of pain prior to the surgery. I'm feeling like I shouldn't have done this and caused all of this pain to myself. I know that it was something I had to do eventually and that I chose the best time in my life to do it, but it still is frustrating and tiring at times.

I just hope these feelings pass and that the pain subsides and I can look more positively on my decision. Hopefully a new bed is a start in the right direction!

Comment

Working...
                X