Can anyone tell me about Dr. Boachie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone tell me about Dr. Boachie?

As suggested from this web site I sent Dr. Boachie and e-mail and he kindly responded saying that he would review my case. He sounds very nice from his secretary, and I was just wondering if anyone else has any other experience From Dr. Boachie?

I am 49 years old and still believe I have a shot at being able to hold my my head up just a little straighter if I can find "right Dr." thank you very much for everyone's response.
    Thank you all, Frankie www.FrankieBush.net

Frankie...

There have been a lot of posts about Dr. Boachie. Slick on the SEARCH link above and type Boachie in the box to see the entire list.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

dr. boachie

Funny you should mention Dr. Boachie. I went to see him two weeks ago. I looked up HOSPITAL OF SPECIAL SURGERY IN NY because it has a very good reputation for back and neck surgery (spinal fusion). If you visit www.healthgrades.com they have rated HSS top hospital in New York area giving them a five star rating. HSS recommended I see him, but before my appointment I did some research on his background and it was impressive. I had a spinal fusion 1979, had a Harrington rod put in, and six years later I had the rod removed because it broke, there was alot of clicking in my back and pain in the middle and x-rays revealed it broken. This removal was done at Hospital of Joint Disease. I felt good after the surgery life was great I had two children got back on my excersise routine, treadmill, recumbant bike and lite weight training. I am 41 and for the past 6 months have been experiencing mid-back pain. I went to see Dr. Boachie, he took x-rays and saw the my fusion was broken at mid-back calling it Pseudoarthrosis. He explained that it could be fixed by a anterior/posterior with bone grafts at that level and securing it with a rod at that site. He seemed very optimistic. I explained to him that rods worry me because of my past experience, he said that if I wanted, the rods can be removed two years after the surgery. I have not decided to go with the surgery yet, has anyone out there experience the same thing. If I do go ahead with the surgery, I will let Dr. Boachie do it. I feel very comfortable with him and the Hospital.

I am very happy to have found this website, for many years I have felt very isolated, and afraid to complain about back pain becuase I always feared another surgery, I'm glad not to be alone!

sonia

Comment

hi frankie
        like linda said there are many posts about dr boachie and there are many adults as well as children who had him perform their surgery. Dr. Boachie was my daughter's surgeon this past November and she is doing great. I have not heard one negative thing about him. As a matter of fact when we were at his office for a check up for my daughter there was a woman there who was in her mid 40's who just had revision surgery by him. she could not praise him enough. she said she could barely walk when she went in for a consultation with him and he performed her revision surgery and she was doing great. We researched alot of drs before choosing someone who we felt comfortable entrusting our daughter to and dr. boachie was the surgeon we chose. I think if anyone could help you he is the one.
        Good luck
        Jennifer

Comment

Hi Frankie,

My daughter had surgery with Dr. Boachie 7 weeks ago. He is a wonderful, talented, compassionate doctor with the hands of an angel. Before we decided on him, we did hundreds of hours of research, and many of his patients that I spoke with were adult revision patients. They all said the same thing, that Dr. Boachie had "given them back their lives". So many of them were on their third, fourth, or greater surgeries, and their backs were totally a mess. He very gently and carefully repaired the damage and corrected their curves.

I just read your story on your website, and my heart and prayers are with you. You so much deserve a chance at a normal life! I can tell you that Dr. Boachie is "the master", and the Hospital for Special Surgery is top notch.

Best of luck to you with everything!
          Susanna
          ~~~~~~
          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Thank you all for your wonderful responses About Dr. Boachie

Thank you all so very much for your responses regarding The Compassion and Skill of Dr. Boachie. It certainly gives me hope. And for anyone who might view my web site, I certainly would appreciate any prayers in this matter. www.FrankieBush.net
            Last edited by Frankie; 05-01-2005, 01:38 AM.

Comment

a few questions

just a few quick questions:
              Has anyone had thoracic spine fusion by dr. boachie to correct curvature, and if so, how was the process and total outcome. how is the dr himself?
              How long was the wait from time of consultation to the process it's self? I'm trying to get as much information as possible before I go to my consultation.

Comment

Hi,

My daughter had surgery a little over a year ago. She had an excellent outcome, and has no pain at all. She has returned to pretty much normal activity with a few minor precautions until she hits the two year mark. I can not say enough good things about Dr. Boachie. The Hospital for Special Surgery is good, with one caveat. We had a bad time with their pain management team. I thought they left a lot to be desired. I have talked to several other people who also had problems. Make sure someone is staying in your room with you if at all possible who can be your advocate if there's any problem with pain management.

As far as an appointment, it took a couple of months to get an initial appointment, but nothing different from any of the other top surgeons in the country. Also, our initial consult was in January, and her surgery was in March (our choice to coincide with Spring Break).

Best of luck to you!
                Susanna
                ~~~~~~
                Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Dr. Boachie and the FOCOS team will be featured on the segment "Surgery Saved My Life," on the Discovery Channel. It will air on Thursday, November 30, 2006.

If you haven't already heard about FOCOS, it's a not-for-profit foundation that raises funds to purchase supplies and equipment that is used to perform scoliosis and other orthopaedic surgeries in Ghana and Barbados:

http://www.orthofocos.org/

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,

Thanks for the head's up. We will definitely tune in. Dr. Boachie is a saint. He wrote off a big portion of our surgery costs and we, in turn, gave a big donation to FOCOS. We had saved up for our daughter's surgery, and since the money was "already spent" in our heads, we decided to give the money he wrote off to Dr. Boachie's foundation to honor his charitable work. We look forward to seeing the brilliant hands and true heart of Dr. Boachie at work!

Susanna
                    Susanna
                    ~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                    X