Whats your experience ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your experience ?

What are your expereinces with a chiropractor? I've been going to one for 3 yrs. but, its not helping. Does it or can it actually hurt to go to a chiropractor?

Hi,

I am unsure about whether a chiropractor can help or harm the progression of scoliosis. I wore a brace from when I was 14 until 17 for a 31 degree curve. During this time I visited a chiropractor on and off. It did not stop my curve from progressing, but it did help to ease the pain. So if your curve is relatively stable, it might help to ease any pain you have. I have also found that yoga exercises have helped stop the pain, but I would contact a yoga teacher to discuss your condition before beginning. There is a teacher called Elise Browning Miller (Article published in Yoga Journal May/ June 1990) who has developed a yoga program for scoliosis patients. I am unsure of her contact details, but you should be able to find her on the internet.
    Regards,
    Meg123

Comment

There is absolutely no evidence to support that chiropractic care can arrest progression or improve a scoliotic curvature. However, as Meg123 writes, chiropractic care may help alleviate some pain associated with scoliosis, though any improvement would be temporary. Chiropractic adjustments will certainly not worsen a curve, but you may find them painful. You would have to experiment with this, but frankly I find exercise and massage therapy to be far more effective at controlling back pain than chiropractic. I've heard great things about yoga, as well, but haven't tried it myself.

Dave

Comment

Thanks to all who replied to my question about exercise. I have recently begun to walk the width of our University's Rec Center pool several times a week. I don't yet feel any relief from the ever-present ache, but I'm sure I'm strengthening myself which, in all liklihood, is all I can hope for at my age. I don't want to begin Chiropractic for several reasons, although I don't reject that treatment out-of-hand. I will have an ankle fusion next winter which may help a little, as I know I walk incorrectly because of that problem. Again, thanks for your help and support and best wishes to all of you........Judy
        Judy Wood
        618-453-3401
        SIUC Student Center
        Carbondale, IL 62901
        jaywood@siu.edu

Comment

Working...
        X