Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestions for pediatric surgeon in MO or OK

All:

We found out today that our 14 year old son has a 40 degree thoracic curve and have been referred to a Little Rock, AR surgeon, Dr. Richard McCarthy. However, I'd like some ideas about good pediatric surgeons for scoliosis in MO or OK if anyone has suggestions.

Nancy

Hi Nancy...

I hear a lot of good comments on Keith Bridwell and Lawrence Lenke in St. Louis.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Dr. Lawrence Lenke is Outstanding!!!

Nancy,

Just stumbled upon this message board and saw your question about a spinal surgeon in MO or OK. I can tell you from personal experience that Dr. Lawrence Lenke is an outstanding surgeon with an extremely good reputation. He is on staff at several hospitals and is the orthopedic consultant for several professional sports teams in St. Louis. My 13 year old son had scoliosis surgery last year at Shriner's Hospital in St. Louis. It was a very scary thing but Shriner's and Dr. Lenke were incredible. Another benefit to Shriner's is that they do not charge you a dime - not even for major spinal surgery. If you haven't already gone a different route - I would highly recommend Shriner's. You can call them directly and schedule an appointment in their clinic - you could try requesting Dr. Lenke. The staff and nurses love him too, which tells you a lot.

Anyway, you can email me directly at the3bryants@everestkc.net if you have any questions or want to talk about your situation. I'd be happy to share our experience with you. Our son is going for his 1 year checkup next month and he's doing wonderfully. He had a 60 degree curvature between his shoulder blades and it was progressing rapidly.

Wishing you the best!
      Sherri
      Sherri B in old KC

Comment

Survivor

I agree with Sherri B,

I live in Illinois 20 miles south east of St. Louis and Dr. Lenke is my surgeon. I had my first surgery at Shriners Hospital St. Louis in 1981 and then my second at Barnes with Dr. Lenke in 2002. My next is scheduled for 8/17/05 with Dr. Lenke and I know I am in wonderful hands. He is ranked one of tops in his field and he is very open and honest about what he will do and how long the recovery time is.

Shriners is a little more difficult to get into and it may take a little longer to have surgery there than with Barnes, but I had a wonderful experience at Shriners and it didn't cost my parents a dime. I think the surgery at that time came to $16,000.00 plus. My surgery in 2002 was well over $270,000.00 which I paid about $20,000.00 out of pocket for. Not to scare you but just a comparisson.

Hope this helps.

Dawn

Comment

If you wath free medical care for your 14 year old son Call 1-800-237-505 Shriners giveing hlep and hope for kids over 80 years.

Kara
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

The other thing about Shriners, they will provide care for your son until he is 21, as long as they diagnose him before his 18th birthday.

Our daughter's surgery came to about $250,000 this last spring, that doesn't include the surgery she is scheduled for her feet. We didn't pay any of this. If your child has to have surgery, they allow one parent to stay in the room with the child and have rooms in another place for the other parent. Sure, we had a five hour drive one way, but her doctor was incredible and it was well worth the drive to have one of the best surgeons in the country working on her. If the cost of driving is a financial drain, they have funds for that and a meal allowance at their cafeteria, if you need it.

Call Shriners, I think they are incredible. All three of our girls go there for different reasons.

Nikki

Comment

Working...
            X