16 yr old daughter -surgery in a few weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 yr old daughter -surgery in a few weeks

My 16 year old has a 52 degree curve and is scheduled for surgery. We have been watching the curve for about 2 years and even after her growth, it increased from 40 to 52, so surgery was our only option. Her correction will be from T4-T12. The doctor said that she will be able to play soccer after 3 months, I am a little leary of this. Like all parents, I am very nervous for the surgery and having a hard time dealing with it. Can anyone give me insight on what I can expect-for her recovery and hospital stay.

thank you

Momofthree,
    I know the apprehension you are having. The doctor told my 16 y.o. daughter, that had an 88 degree kyphosis curve, that she would be back on the basketball court the middle of November playing her post position. She just had surgery on 3/15/05, fused from T2-L2. But, to wonderful side of this. She is healing very fast and feels better than she ever has. Her back doesn't hurt anymore and she feels like she wants to do things.

Crystal has recovered very quickly. But, she has never been a kid to be kept down for long. She was in the hospital 6 days. She was out and about approximately 5 days after we got home from the hospital. She took several business trips that were 4-5 hour drives one direction 2-3 weeks post op. She was back at school part-time at 3 weeks post op. She went to her prom at 4 weeks post-op. And, had a 5 week post op check up last week. She is doing great. But, not all will get going that quickly.

Hope this helps.

'til later,
    Nikki

Comment

Momofthree,

My daughter Jamie had surgery almost five months ago for her Scoliosis. Before surgery it was about 46* and after surgery it is down to about 14*. Her recovery was much like Nikki's daughter-very quick.

As for playing soccer, some kids' restrictions are lifted at 3-4 months post-op and then others, like my daughter, their restrictions are still in place for much longer than that. Each doctor and child is different and so is their recovery.

Good luck.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Mom of Three,

I have witnessed many teens that have had spinal fusions. In my opinion they are almost "bullet proof". They are in and out of the hospital in 2-3 days and doing things for themselves that it took me weeks and in some cases months to do. It just amazes me! Although I couldn't be happier with the outcome of my surgery... I was 42 yrs. old and my recovery was anything but a "walk in the park" and it was long. Well worth it...but tough!

Kindest Regards,
        Gail

Comment

I am beginning to think these spine kids are bullet proof. Crystal is one the go. At 16, it is very hard to slow her down. She wants to be doing everything she did before surgery. She doesn't want to have to wait until the doctor releases her for it.

Maybe we can wrap them in bubble wrap until their time is up for recovery. LOL. We might feel better about their activity levels they want to return to.

'til later,
          Nikki

Comment

Working...
          X