correcting rib deformity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correcting rib deformity

has anyone found that the rib cage on the side opposite of their rib hump seems TOO small ... i don't know if it's just the natural result of the spine twisting (as the rib hump is) or if it's from having worn a brace in adolesence, but it's as if my rib cage on the non-hump side is the same size at age 27 as it was when i was 10. i've considered getting the thoracoplasty surgery done to fix the rib hump, but am wondering if there's anything to "expand" the other side? any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. thanks!

Hi Ellebee...

The narrowing of the concave side of the chest is normal. You can see a drawing here:

http://www.rad.washington.edu/mskbook/scoliosis.html

I've never heard of an adult having the concave side of their ribs expanded, but it might be possible. I'll be curious to see what you find.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
    X