another brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another brace

i am a new on this forum and i would like to know if your scoliosis doc. suggestet other brace than boston ?
    liat

Other kinds of braces

Hi Liat! I hope all is going well for you. Yes, there are other kinds of braces in addition to the Boston brace. I'm not sure why one is recommended over another, though. My daughter, who has a double curve of 25 and 20, is wearing what is called a Wilmington Jacket which is a TLSO kind of brace. Because of the double curve she wears it 18 hours/day. It sort of looks like a corset that fits under her arms and down over her hips and wraps around her torso and is held together with velcro straps. To make this kind of brace the orthotist created a cast of her torso first, then cut the cast off, and used it to create the brace which is made out of a plastic material. It sort of looks like a giant band-aid as it has tiny holes that allow her skin to breath. I like to think of it as a giant, pink cocoon that is hopefully keeping her safe while she finishes growing. She has been in it since the end of this past August and it is now difficult to tell when she has it on and when she doesn't.

There are several other types of braces, too. What kind are you using? I plan to ask my daughter's orthopedist why they use one vs. another as I have read that many of the girls are wearing the Boston brace. You can probably check on some scoliosis websites to see the different kinds that are used.

Well, that's probably more than you ever thought you'd know about the Wilmington Jacket, but I hope it helps! (The name refers to the DuPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Delaware which is where her doctor is located)

I wish you well! I may have some more info about other kinds of braces that I had come across when I first started finding out about all of this. If I find it, I'll let you know. Keep in touch! Kathy

Comment

Well, there are many braces other than the Boston. Your orthotist will make the kind of brace that suits you. For instance, a Milwaukee is normally used to treat throrasic curves while the Boston is normally used to treat curves in the lumbar region. Also, some orthotists prefer some braces over others. My orthotist does not normally make charelston bending braces because the person wearing it cannot sleep on their side and they feel uncomftorable. I hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
      X