Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Providence brace? Anyone have a providence brace???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Providence brace? Anyone have a providence brace???

I'm getting a providence brace in a few weeks and it seems like everyone wears the boston brace 23/7. I'm only wearing the providence when I sleep. Is there someone out there with a similar situation who could tell me what it's like, please? Or if someone has any info on the providence at all that'd be appreciated.
    I'm Karin. I had surgery for my scoliosis on October 13, 2005, and am doing well! I formerly wore a providence brace and did PT for treatment.

ScolioGirl,

My four year old daughter has been in a providence brace since
    about December. We have been told that she will have to wear
    this every night for about 10 - 12 years.

At first, she cried a lot -- but she seems to be doing better with
    it each night. We did recently take her shopping for a new mattress.
    We brought her to the store in her brace and let her try out the one
    she felt was the most comfortable.

Here is an article that you might find helpful

http://www.centri.se/pdf/providence.pdf

Also, there is information about the providence on spineuniverse.com.

Good luck to you and God Bless,

Denise

Comment

Providence Brace

The Providence brace is a brace designed specifically for night time use only . Mechanically, it tries to aggressively "unbend" the curve/s in your back. It is manufactured by a company called Spinal Technology http://www.spinaltech.com/products.html .

The Boston Brace is a brace designed for full time wear (night and day). It is manufactured by Boston Brace Company http://www.bostonbrace.com/ .

Both braces are made of plastic, both often include a soft foam liner, but differ in their appearances/shapes.

Unfortunately, there are lots of names for different scoliosis braces - most refer to where they are used or were developed or to who developed them. Don't worry about the name of the brace - what is most important is that you are in the care of someone who is knowledgable and has experience in treating scoliosis with a brace.

Good luck!
      Patrick

Comment

hey yeah i got a providence brace And a boston... and the providence brace isnt that bad at all! i got mine last week and its pink wit a rose on it! when u first get it yur back may feel alittle sore but its really not that bad.. and when u take it off yur back should actually look like it got better a bit... well the point of the brace is to over correct the curviture and yeah but i think thats prolly the best brace out there! ..specially since ya only got 2 wear it at nite!!
        i have a 35 degree curve but wit the providence i have a -1 degree curve!! inst that awsum! well good luck wit yur providence brace ... oh also when i went 2 go get my brace the hospital has special shirts to wear with the boston but i think those shirts are sooo comfy for sleeping in specially wit the providence on top of it! there called "The Boston Silver T" it has anitmicrobial stuff which elimantes ordor, bacteria, cooler in summer , warmer in winter, anit static.. so u wont get ne wrinkly marks on yur skin its nice and tight! but i jsut lov em so i think they mite b helpful 4 u! ok well hopefully somthing i said was helpful information 2 ya!
        good luck,
        nessa

Comment

I had a charleston brace, which sounds similar to the providence brace which you are describing. it curved me in the opposite direction from my curve, and I wore it every night.
          the first night I had it,I couldn't even sleep out of discomfort and pain. but after a while, I slowly got used to it. at one point, I was sleeping with something like 5 pillows that would support different parts of my body for the optimum comfort.
          hang in there and good luck with it!

Comment

Working...
          X