Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnostic testing..

Hi..
    Was wondering does anyone here know what happens if an MRI cannot be used for diagnostic testing??
    I thought I might get an MRI down the road to check the condition of my scoliosis..but I think since I have some metal parts..3 surgical wires in my sternum from a past heart surgery, and a tooth implant..what about fillings in one's teeth..

Am I in ineligible??

Kimbo...

You should check with your doctor to be sure, but the metal shouldn't be a problem. However, generally an MRI is not used to check the progression of scoliosis. MRIs are ordered if the surgeon feels there might be some underlying complication, or if you're scheduled for surgery.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Mri

I had a breast MRI last week. The technician wanted permission from Dr. Boachie regarding the type of metal. So he faxed it. They are concerned about distortion of the image making the test difficult to read. It came out fine.
      On another occasion, I went to the hospital with severe abdominal pain and they did a CAT scan of the abdomen. There was so much glare that it was misread as a clot in my kidney(wrong!). I did tell them about the hardware.
      Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

My father had a quadruple bypass several years ago and has the same metal you do. He suffers from scoliosis as well as degenetive disc disease and has had surgery twice for it, both were after the heart surgery and the MRI's were done and the metal was not an issue in having the MRI performed. But, as stated scoliosis is not justification for an MRI, but to look for an underlying problem that is the root of your issue.

Comment

Generally they do not do MRI's for Scoliosis. Regular x-rays are of the norm.

I just recently had a bone scan, where they insert radioactive stuff in you and then take the pictures a couple hours later, and that gave the best result as to what was goin on in my back.

MRI's don't usually work for Scoliosis, as the picture of the spine isn't large enough, and doesn't capture enough of it.
          Jill

Diagnosed in 1998
          55 Degree S Curve
          Idiopathic Scoliosis surgery in 2000 in Vancouver, BC
          Performed by Dr. Stephen Tredwell

Comment

Hi Jill...

Here in the U.S., some surgeons routinely request MRIs for patients about to undergo scoliosis surgery. I'm not sure where you heard that "the picture of the spine isn't large enough," but my entire spine was MRI'd. The MRI is not used to measure curves, but is used to see things like nerve entrapment.

MRIs are also routinely done on younger children with scoliosis to see if there is any underlying condition that might be causing the curvature.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
            X