Scoliosis and IBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis and IBS

I was recently diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome with constipation. Was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 10 or so...just turned 31. I feel like my scoliosis has to have some impact on my digestive health, though my doctor did not mention it. My ribs are much closer to my hip bone on my left side where my descending colon is and when I lie on my left side I feel much better when I am having abdominal pain....sometimes I can actually tell that lying on my left side is helping with digestion. Has anyone experienced anything similar and if so have you found any resources or information on Scoliosis and IBS. I have looked all over the web and haven't been able to find much. Thank you!

Ibs

Below are 2 links which helped me immensely.

I never had much trouble with IBS until after my revision when I took Crestor for cholesterol. I had pain the whole time even when I came off it. After a thorough check I got the IBS diagnosis. So many people have this without scoliosis I doubt a connection but I could be wrong. What I did have before surgery was inability to breathe well after a full meal. My stomach was packed tightly under my diaphragm and laying on its side. This was due to my triple curves(30-80-40). After my surgery I am great in that respect because my stomach has more room.

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#break_cycle http://www.ibsgroup.org/

Karen
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I had digestive and bowel problems all my life. I was diagnosed at 22 yrs with a spastic colon or colitis. I don't think it was called IBS at that time. I no longer have the problem since I followed a yeast free diet. It cured my acid feflux and my IBS. I also take digestive enzymes. I took them before the diet and got a little relief. Now they work much better. If I eat much in the way of processed food, it comes back but only as a minor inconvenience.
      In the diet wheat, dairy, sugar, processed and yeast foods are eliminated. My doctor also suggested rotating your foods so as not to consume the same food everyday. This is to help keep you from developing a sensitivity to a particular food. Since I have practiced this way of eating for about 4 yrs (except for rotating), I no longer am as sensitive to wheat as I used to be. It used to make me fatigued.
      I believe there may be a connection between scoliosis and IBS. I think you might find this site helpful on this issue as well as other scoliosis issues.
      www.ctds.info/scoliosis_information.html

Comment

Thank you both for your suggestions. I appreciate it. If anyone else has anything else to add, please let me know.

Comment

Working...
        X