Pilates for Scoliosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilates for Scoliosis?

Is there a modified pilates out there for people with scoliosis? I have the yoga for scoliosis tape and find it quite helpful. With so much pilates out there today it would be good to know if anyone analyzed the moves for people with scoliosis. Is anyone doing pilates regularly?

Pilates

I have been doing Pilates for over 5 years both before and after my revision surgery. I have a PERFORMER Machine at home but I have private sessions and this instructor has worked with me all that time. There are certain movements I cannot safely do-that is why I have guidance. I personally would not feel comfortable just doing it from a tape. I apply what I learned from her at home between sessions(every 2 weeks). I do feel much better after Pilates and it greatly reduced pain before surgery but did not stop my curves from progressing. My surgeon's nurse said if it doesn't feel right don't do it.
    Karen
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Be very careful with pilates

I have a book by Darcey Bussell (an english ballet dancer) called pilates for life. I do the stretches only which has loosened me up to my current maximum potential.

I have a lot of problems with back pain joints and muscles. I went to see a private pilates instructor who apparently had qualifications coming out of her ears and have ended up having a huge relapse.

Good luck on keeping fit though

Barbs

Comment

reply about pilates and scoliosis

i am a certified pilates instructor, and i have a scoliosis. i have the classic "hump" , one raised shoulder, one hiked hip and uneven ribcage.
        surprisingly i was completely unaware of my scoliosis, although i suffered from constant back pain and discomfort (discomfort started around 25 year of age)which at the time i attributed to bad posture and lack of flexibility.
        the 1st person to tell me i have a scoliosis was my pilates instructor, at age 27. i have been practicing pilates now for 5 years, and teaching pilates for 3 years out of that.
        yes some instructors out there are very unsafe, and undereducated.
        but keep searching, because it can do wonders!!!
        i no longer suffer from back pain, and i am free to pursue my
        other passion - judo.
        look for certified PMA approved instructors, who also have a physiotherapy degree.
        of course if you are recovering from surgery, do not do pilates until you are cleared to do so by your physician.
        bottom line is if it hurts you, don't do it!
        Pilates should not hurt, if it does stop.

Comment

I do Pilates too, but I just use Denise Austin's Pilates for Every Body DVD. I like it. It doesn't help the pain, but it hurts much less than other exercises. I love running and Tae Bo but I can't do them anymore because it's so painful.
          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
          2003- 33 degrees
          2005- 37 degrees
          2006- 44 degrees
          May 2007- 47 degrees
          December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
          Fused T1 to L2
          Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

this is for briarrose
            you should really try a one on one with a qualified instructor.
            i have been working with 2 clients for 2 years, they are in their 30ies, both of whom suffer from scoliosis.
            one of them has a very sever form. slowly and gradually they learned how to protect their body in movement, and which muscles to lengthen, which to strengthen.
            the videos can be VERY harsh, even on somebody with no spine issues.

go online and search for certified instructors in your area. to play it safe, make sure they are also physiotherapists.
            good luck
            Dana

Comment

I also have the yoga for scolosis tape, but I would not feel safe doing any yoga without a qualified remedial yoga teacher. I have now found one, and it is making a big difference (8 months post-op). I tried swimming but had to give it up - too much pain, even persevering for 6 weeks. The advantage of having a teacher is that she shows me individually which positions to do and how to do them. After my weekly yoga lesson the pain is much less, but it doesn't help in the same way when I do the positions myself. Many people find this - it's difficult to do them correctly.

Lavinia

Comment

The Alexander Technique

Yesterday, I received in the mail "The Spinal Connection" newsletter from NSF. I was thrilled to see a full page article on The Alexander Technique. I am a firm believer of it and have been practicing for over 2-1/2 years. It has helped me tremendously. I had never heard of it until someone on a UK scoliosis website with the same pain I had mentioned to try it. It really does help me control my pain. Having a rod or any type of hardware in your back is irrelevant as there is nothing strenuous in this technique. It focuses on identifying muscular patterns. In the beginning you should go religiously every week in order for you to grasp the concept but once you are able to implement it in your daily life, you really do see a difference. After a year, I went twice a month and now I go once a month. There are many teachers out there and as with anything, finding one that works well with you is the key. Hope this was insightful. LYNN
                1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                2000 Partial Rod Removal
                2001 Right Scapular Resection
                12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Pilates

Pilates was the only exercise discipline which helped me pre-op. I worked privately with an excellent instructor for 4 years before my revision and I have a reformer machine at home. HOWEVER, it did NOT stop the progression of my scoliosis.

I am working with the same instructor since my surgery. Naturally I cannot do certain movements(rolling like a ball) but it still helps.

Karen
                  Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                  Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
                  X