Ah. Triple curves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah. Triple curves?

Well, I am 15 and the school nurse told me yesterday I have scoliosis and I have an appointment with a doctor in April for a thorough check, but that's not my point.

The nurse was not exactly nice, for she practically screamed "Your backbone is out of shape!" when I was in there with her and my classmates who were waiting outside to be checked heard.

I looked at the nurse's report and saw that I have three curves :

Right thoracic hump : 04 degrees
    Right thoracolumbar hump : 07 degrees
    Right lumbar hump : 04 degrees

Not something very serious, but I read up on scoliosis and realised that most cases either have one or two curves. But gosh, I have three.

I am worried about my triple curves. Sigh. I don't like them.

Hi Lynda...

There's really nothing to worry about yet. I believe, since the nurse wrote all three measurements as RIGHT, that you actually only have one long curve.

Good luck with your appointment.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Lynda,

Don't put too much stock into what the school nurse says. No one can give you an accurate curve measurement unless they measure the xray. Assuming the degree of curves from the outside is not at all accurate. Its very good that you have an appointment with a doctor (hopefully an orthopedist who specializes in scoliosis) next month. Try not to worry much until you see the doc. And, it is possible to have three curves. Your message indicated the nurse documented "humps" not curves. Your spine is three-dimensional. Until you get an xray to SEE what it looks like, everything else is speculation. I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of scoliosis - just trying to help you realize you need to get a lot more information before jumping to conclusions.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

I just surfed around the forum and realised that outside checks really are inaccurate. Just read a post about how the nurse told her that she had a slight curve of 7, and the X-Ray said it was 38 instead.

I am so darn worried that I ran to the room and looked at the full length mirror. Shoulders seem alright and fine.

Oh ack. I am dreading the visit to the doctor.

Comment

Lynda...

Measurement by scoliometer is entirely different than measurement by Cobb angle. A scoliometer measurement of 7 could be significant, but may not be. Try not to get too worked up. Hopefully, it's nothing.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
            Lynda...

Measurement by scoliometer is entirely different than measurement by Cobb angle. A scoliometer measurement of 7 could be significant, but may not be. Try not to get too worked up. Hopefully, it's nothing.

Regards,
            Linda
            Scoliometer measurement of 7 degrees is equal to 20 with Cobb. Does that sound good? =/

Comment

Hi Lynda:

Sorry to hear that you are feeling so anxious. This is a very scary time for you, but nothing in scoliosis happens fast, so you can let yourself relax a little and try to take it slow.

You asked if 20 degrees was bad. It depends. If you are all finished growing, 20 degrees is not bad. An adult with a 20 degree curve will, statistically, just stay like that, and their scoli won't be an issue.

If however, you still have a lot of growing left, 20 degrees is something your doctor will watch carefully. If that curve progressed to, say 30, your doctor might want you to wear a brace. If it then progressed to, say 50, your doctor might want you to have surgery. But most people's curves don't progress like that at all. Most people with scoliosis don't need treatment and it's just a little oddity in their body.

To know how much growth you have left, the doctor can look at the condition of your bones in your x-ray, but as a rough rule of thumb, most women grow for about two years after they get their period.

Ok?

Patricia
              Scoli Mum from New Zealand
              Daughter Caitlin's surgery scheduled for 2nd May
              Patricia
              Scoli Mum from New Zealand
              Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
              Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

Okay. *bites lip*

Comment

My son was detected by the school nurse too. His "number" from her was far less than the "number" given by the orthopaedist. They explained to me the difference between the various screenings/measurements. At 13, my son's scoliosis curve at the ortho measured at 26 degrees, give or take a few. It has stayed stable at around 28 degrees now. 30 degrees seems to be the cut off for what is in need of direct action, so if your curve is below 30, you may be in that watch and see group. And if you have almost finished your growing, your odds of progressing will be much less. So try not to worry too much. You will get the info you need soon, I hope!

Comment

Working...
                  X