Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fractures?

Hi,

I've never had surgery (although I need it--they just won't do it at my age). I had to get some medical records from my orthopedic surgeon and in addition to the usual information I expected I found something surprising.

The record said that in my thoracic area there were "sever minimal compression fractures." This is not even where my worst curve is. The doc had not mentioned this to me at all and it seems that if this is what is happening their refusal to do surgery to prevent more of this makes no sense.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with these fractures from scoliosis (I'm 60/72).

Thanks.

Gloria

Hi Gloria...

It sounds like you're osteoporotic. I'm really surprised that no one mentioned the fractures. Is it possible that the doctor used the term degenerative?

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

fractures

Although I do not have fractures I had scoliosis revision surgery last year at age 60. My curve was reduced from 80+ degrees to 30 degrees. Surgery may not be an option for you but corrective surgery is done in the 40-65+ age group when certain criteria are met. The recovery is longer but , in my case, my fused spine was curving and my breathing was impaired. I am now back to work 14 months after surgery.

Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi,

I thought of what Linda had said about osteoporosis and that one does have me concerned. I definitely need to up the calcium. I looked into this thing about fractures and it turns out it isn't so uncommon. They are compression fractures and many people have them for one reason or another. Mine just happened to be the compression of scoliosis--and I hope not--osteoporosis, since I am 50 and post-pause now.

I did think it odd it wasn't mentioned but I guess that was due to how common it is and that doctors probably think they will scare the patient. For some it would be frightening. For me it was confusing.

The doctor never said degenerative but he didn't have to. I have results here that show disk dessication and I also have spondilolithesis. It's progressive and degenerative.

As for surgery---who knows??!! This is my third orthopod and they just won't do it. And a neurosurgeon also nixed the idea. My quality of life stinks. I was just ok'ed for continuation of Social Security, which I need. But I am sure surgery would change my life. What can I say?!

Gloria
        (Merry Christmas to all!)

Comment

fractures

Gloria,

What helped me was to keep searching and educate myself; that's how I reached my decisions and got help.

A start could be visiting a physician who specializes in adult scoliosis. I never bothered to visit a regular orthopedist. I found out, in various forums, they would just throw up their hands when they see my spine already fused. I did not waste my time or money.

Karen
          Last edited by Karen Ocker; 12-19-2003, 06:21 PM.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
          X