Hi I'm new my daughter has to have surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I'm new my daughter has to have surgery

Hi everyone, I have a 11yr old daughter. That has cerebral palsey and 6 months ago she was diagnosed with scoliosis at 30 degrees, 6month follow up was at 72 degrees already. Docters want to do surgery because it's developed so fast, surgery in April. We decided it was best for HER if we did the surgery. On the other hand if we don't she will get worse and that I can't even imagine how that would be on her body. How did your children recover?
    How was their pain? Thanks Risa
    Risa the mother of a 11 year old girl. She has CP, Coritcal visual impairment, non verbal, non mobile, total spinal fusion with 4 screws at the base. God's blessing

Risa,
    What hospital are you going to? We went to Shriners Hospital and their pain management at that hospital is incredible. Keep in mind Shriners is an Orthopedic Children's Hospital. All they work on is children and their goal is to get them comfortable and keep them comfortable. My daughter had surgery last Tuesday and came home Monday. We would of come home Sunday, but I had to wait for my husband to make the 5 hour drive back to pick us up.

Surgery is scary, I think more so for the parents than the kids. All I can tell you about it is that the stress I put myself before hand wore me out. After Crystal came back to her room after surgery, and I knew she was safe, I wondered what I was all stressed out about. The pain management team immediately started on her pain management.

She is in discomfort at home, but they give you prescriptions to manage that at home. However, I see her improving daily, just by being home.

Be sure to buy a body pillow and take it with you. It will be her best friend and makes turning her on her sides much easier. Be sure to have the nurses teach you things as you go along.

If you have specific questions, just ask someone will respond to you.

You are in our prayers.

'til later,
    Nikki

Comment

I'm new. My daughter is 14 years old

My daughter is 14 years old and has scoliosis. About three months ago, her curve was at 32 degrees. She was alos wearing the Charlston Bending Brace (its a brace you wear at night for app. 1-1/2 years). Monday, we went back to the doctors for a check-up and her curve moved to 45 degrees. We were both devistated. On Sunday she has to go for an MRI or her spine. I wold like to talk to other mothers who are going through the same experience.

Comment

My daughter is going for an MRI this coming Tuesday night (Sept. 6th) and is scheduled for surgery in late November. We are very upset about this too. We found out on Tuesday that her top curve had progressed to 43 with her brace on and now there is a triple curve. She also has a very immature spine and the doctor told us that makes the surgery more necessary as the brace is only slowing down the curving but not stopping it.

Good luck with your daughter's MRI and upcoming surgery. I know you must be very scared and nervous too.

Comment

Working...
        X