worried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worried

I've had a brace since I was five years old and assigned to wear it from 14-16 hours a day. Now Im much older and signs of scoliosis are becoming clearer, my hips are uneven and my shoulder blades are uneven and I can feel it when I am walking and now I am getting very worried. It is near to impossible for me to wear a brace over 14 hours a day, usually I can only get in twelve, I am involved in so many extra curricular activities and sports.
    I recently found out that it isn't known if braces actually do much for you, and that people with a moderate curve (I have about a 30 degree curve) wear a brace to keep it from getting worse. I fear it's doing nothing for me... I found that it says 40+ degree curves will allways worsen through adulthood, and maybe I shouldn't be worried but it feels like every day I can feel myself getting worse, it's the most horrible feeling in the world. I could try to wear it more and more but people who do know braces how miserable you can get sometimes... this is getting too hard..
    > Diagnosed at age 4
    > Braced at age 5
    > 35 degree curve somewhere, sounds funny but yes, I forget where...
    > Avid horseback rider

Plopony, I can't find your bio: how old are you now?

Comment

Im in my teens
      > Diagnosed at age 4
      > Braced at age 5
      > 35 degree curve somewhere, sounds funny but yes, I forget where...
      > Avid horseback rider

Comment

umm yeah most of my doctors said that bracing doesnt correct the scoliosis curve, but just helps prevent it. but if the degree gets up to 50 then im thinkin u should get the surgery. u dont want surgery when ur alot older b/c recovery takes a longer time.
        I'm 15, and I had surgery June 2, 2005. I do not regret any of it.

Comment

no

Not true. Rigid braces do not correct your curve but spinecor does. I've been wearing a Spinecor brace for a year and it has corrected both of my curves by 13 degrees.
          Bonnie, age 13, S curves of just under 30 degrees. Has been wearing Spinecor brace 20 hours a day for 1 year, should get it off May next year. The brace has been very effective.

Comment

The correction from ANY brace is usually temporary. When the brace treatment is discontinued, the curves almost always return to their original degrees. The purpose of the brace is to keep the curves from getting even larger.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
            X