Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revision surgery

Linda,

Of all the people that you come in contact with that have had a revision surgery what kind of recovery time frame is it? Is it like 3-4 months or back to a year again for complete recovery? Thanks!
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Theresa...

It varies hugely. A recent friend who had 3 surgeries in a two week time span, with osteotomies and the whole works, was off of all pain medication 3 weeks after surgery. I've also known people who are on pain medication years after surgery. Those are the extremes. In general, recovery seems similar for most people, to recovery in regular scoliosis surgery. That is, the first 4-6 weeks are tough, but most people are able to care completely for themselves after that. You should question your surgeon about it, especially in terms of how much will be done in your own case.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,

I see him Friday morning. I was just reading some of his old e-mails and he said shorter recovery time than the last surgery, but not insignificant, several months. I was just wondering if several months was 3 to 4 months or more like 8 to 9 months. I have a positive sagittal balance and my lordosis in the lumbar spine is fair at best. I'll let you all know if I find out anything for sure on Friday.
      Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hey Everyone,

I hope everyone had a nice Easter! I talked with the surgeon today and he will be doing a single level osteotomy the end of May. He said that it will correct my walking and standing problems. He also said that I still had quite a bit of rotation in the lumbar spine, which is putting my right hip more forward. This procedure might be able to help this problem a little bit as well. I am looking forward to walking upright without support, but not looking forward to the recovery again! He did say that it would be a lot easier recovery than last time because of having only one procedure done in only one part of my back and also not having to open the chest.
        Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Got my confirmation today for my surgery. June 2nd. I will be having a pedicle subtraction osteotomy L3 with iliac crest bone. Even though I have done all my research reading the pub med journals, spine journals, medscape articles, and the many different websites it threw me for a loop when I was reading the page and a half of RISKS. Basically all the same risks as before and what I have already read, so nothing new, but this paper actually had MY name on it made it more personal and scarier. I sure am glad that it is testing time at school, then checking in all the books, and inventory to keep my mind occupied. I'm waiting for an e-mail back from my doctor but does anyone know if they use iliac crest bone during the first surgery taken from the right hip, for this surgery do they take it from the same place or the left hip this time?
          Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I don't know if I can be of any help, however

Maybe my web site might give you some insight as to how far we have come since my beginning days. I just now that I can find a surgeon that might be able to give me a little hope. If my web site can help you in any way please let me know. www.FrankieBush.net

God bless you all, Frankie

Comment

Working...
            X