What Is it like after Surgary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is it like after Surgary?

Im 14 years old and over 7 months my scoliosis grew by 8 degrees. Now I am at 40 degrees. I havent grown in more then 2 years and still my scoliosis is getting wrose. I am going back to the childrens hospital in less then 8 months to see how im doing but I know its going to be hard to wait, since i have problems sleeping every night and hurts alot. Self-less to say i am not a loser or an ugly kid. i have meny friends and have big plans in my future. Its hard to think in some years that im going to be having this surgary that meny people here have had already. This is why i would like to know if basketball is not an option for me anymore or if the waiting list in BC Canada is very long or not?
    Kendall

Kendall,
    Yes, basketball is a future for you. My daughter just had surgery yesterday. Her surgeon told her Monday that if she does what he wants her to do, that she will probably be able to play ball next year. That's only 9 months from now. You sound like you are a strong willed person and I admire that. It is Crystal's strong will that has gotten her this far. She had a good night last night, and has had a good day today. She hasn't complained much, but she isn't much of a complainer anyway.

Just remember to do the things your doctor asks you to do. If it is wearing a brace 23 hours a day, 7 days a week, do it.

Good luck to you and our prayers are with you.

'til later,
    Nikki

Comment

u can play basketball... im six months post op & i can play it now
      ~Angie~
      *ANGIE* 14-15 y/o
      had operation in september 2004
      a rod was put in:T10-L3
      My curve was 50* & is now 7*
      "All that glitters is not always gold & diamonds in the rough do not always shine"

Comment

My 14 year old son is at about the same stage as you...

Kendall,

At my son's last checkup (March) he was at 44 upper/42 lower. He also is being treated at a Children's Hospital. He is facing surgery by next summer at the latest. As far as I know, he is not experiencing much discomfort or pain but I am going to have him start a yoga program with me. The program I found is made by a scoliosis sufferer and is geared towards people with scoliosis. Perhaps excercises and stretching will help your discomfort. In the meantime, don't stop doing anything you feel up to doing. My son is currently in band, track and bowling & I encourage him to keep as active as possible. Please keep me posted on how you are doing, I will be praying for you. Take care, Flowerpower

Comment

You'll be able to, I had my surgery in June and by August I was playing.

Comment

Christmas,

Were you playing basketball with your doctor's permissions at two months? Most doctors don't allow their patients to play at two months. My daughter is FIVE months post-op and she still isn't allowed to run, jump, or even take gym for at least another month when she returns to the surgeon.

Mary Lou

Comment

hey again,

Thank you very much for your support. Thats a good idea, taking yoga classes for scoliosis. I wonder if there is any classes like that around me. Ill look out for that, hopefully I'll be able to find so. And I'm not stopping my physical activity at all, in July im doing my 5th triathlon, with a 750 m swim, 18Km bike, and 5 Km run. I've already started training cause I know its going to be a challenge.

Kendall

Comment

Working...
              X