Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 month post-op check in

Happy Halloween fellow scoli-friends -

Just checking in with my 3 month post-op report. As with my last check-in, all is well on the recovery. Every day is better than the last and life is slowly starting to get back to normal. I am working at full-tilt, keeping up with life at home, exercising 45-60 minutes a day 6/7 days per week and starting to feel like my old self again.

There is only one exception, and that is sleeping or feeling okay lying down for any length of time. A few weeks ago, I started waking in the middle of the night with a horrible stiffness and achiness that radiates up my spine and through my rib cage area. The only thing that can alleviate this is getting up and walking around until it subsides. It's not great for getting the sleep needed and I end up with only 4 or 5 hours a night. I've tried changing the softness and firmness of the bed, elevating my head or feet and using a heating pad but nothing seems to help. It's interesting that this is a new problem and it has me wondering, what's going on now?? Perhaps it a healing phase that I need to get through? Just thought I would check in to see if anyone has any tips or suggestions that I could try that does not include pain medication.

I see my surgeon again on Wednesday for my 12 week appointment, but I doubt he will have any recommendations for me. I love my surgeon, but I don't think he has a full understanding of what the fusion feels like or the recovery for that matter with regard to pain. His focus is obviously the hardware and fusion itself, which is understandable. It's why this forum is so wonderful and I'm grateful that there is a place to ask these questions and get honest, first person feedback and support.

Misty, Your doing really good.....better than most of us. If I didn’t know your age, I would guess you were in your 20’s by your testimonials.

I have a few “Bear Trap” threads and posts here, that’s when it feels like there is this gripping feeling in the thoracic area. In the 4” inch wide surgical zone, from T4 to T10.

Many have agreed and have felt this after scoliosis surgery, its quite common. There is no information at all that I have come across on this, the best I could guess is that it is weather related, mostly when cold winter storms approach. When this happens, the atmospheric pressure drops and leads me to believe that could be a nerve cell expansion change in the scar tissue. What’s troubling about this is that my front scars are not affected at all by this. Scar tissue can sometimes present problems in any surgery.....and sometimes there are no answers.

Today is Halloween, I had the perfect excuse and I forgot my electronic Chewbacca mask for a scheduled audit at work....Like I said, sometimes there are no answers. So much for my trick.

But a nice hot shower is always a treat....(turn up your hot water heater in the winter)

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Misty,

Just wanted to say I hope you're doing better and sleeping longer. Sleep is so important especially when you have a demanding schedule with a job and kids.

I can't imagine what it feels like to go through what you've been through but your exercise program is more that what I can do without a fused spine. That is great and gives me hope as I'm sure so many others that may read this.

Take care and have a great weekend.
      Melisse
      Melisse
      Diagnosed with Adolescent Scoliosis @ 12 y.o. Thoracolumbar curve was around 28*
      Wore Boston Brace 2 -3 yrs

Comment

Working...
      X