no surgery recommended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no surgery recommended

Hello, everyone. I am so excited to tell you all that I got checked by Dr. Sweet in Rockford, IL last Friday Mar 4, 2005. He is a very experienced and caring doctor who does a lot of spine surgeries. He said he doesn't recommend surgery for me because at 57 years of age with 67 degrees thorasic curve, I am very active and scoliotic pain is very minimal, (more of a discomfort). He said that if I ever do it, it will be for cosmetic reason (big hump on the right side) and that is not a good reason for surgery. Diminished quality of life, pain and compromised health are better reasons to get surgery. He recommended monitoring the progression and so I will have more xrays next year. But for now, I am so happy and have peace of mind about the whole thing. Do contact me if you are in the same boat like myself ( and even if you are not) . I will be happy to correspond with you.

Letty

Hi Letty...

Sounds like excellent advice.

Be sure that you're getting enough calcium so that your bone quality stays good.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Letty,

Glad to hear you have got some peace of mind at last! I am thrilled for you. Hope we get to hear from you over the years about how you're doing!

~Laura
      30y/o
      Upper curve around 55
      Lower curve around 35

Comment

That is exactly what the good doctor advised, Linda. Enough calcium to maintain my bone density which he says is very good as of now. He said I cannot afford to have osteoporosis with the scoliosis. Thank you, Laura. For sure I will be in touch with all of you nice people.

Comment

Working...
        X