Scoliosis/pinched nerve/c-section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis/pinched nerve/c-section

Hi all, I recently had a c-section with my daughter 5 weeks ago. They gave me a spinal tap to numb me, during the spinal while I was bent over, I felt a shooting pain down my left leg. Once I told him, he somehow made it stop. For the last 2-3 weeks now, I have this same shooting pain down my left leg, when I sit down. I went to see the chiro, which took x-rays and told me that I have a mild curve of my lower spine (I'm 24 and I had no idea of this), and this is what is causing a pinched nerve. I thought it may have had something to do with the spinal tap. I have never had any complications due to this curve (I didnt even know I had it).
    So he now has me coming in 3x a week for adjustments. He tells me that this will help the bone move away from the nerve. I am also taking advil and using ice packs every 4 hrs for the swelling of the nerve to go down. I am still in pain. I'm now getting worried, being that my maturnity leave ends in about a week and I have a job that I have to sit down for. Its hard to sit down and since I have been going to him, now my lower back hurts, which he said thats normal in the beging of therapy.
    Any advice for this. I'm especially concerned of the pinched nerve. What else can I do about this? Does this eventually get better? Come back? When I ask him these things, his answers are not exactally to the point. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks
    Sorry this is so long and boring.

Hi Jenn80...

Although there's no way to know for sure, I'm a bit skeptical that a mild scoliosis curve would cause leg pain. I'd like to recommend that you make an appointment with a neurologist, who should be able to tell you why you're having the pain.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Well he actually said that the curve caused the pinched nerve, and that is what is causing the shooting pain down my legg. He also said something about a muscle spasm. Anyone who can answer my questions? Any advice would help.

Comment

Yes, a neurologist.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

pinched nerve

I would definitely contact the anesthesia dept where you had the anesthesia so that they could document this symptom and recommend definitive treatment. A chiropractor is NOT qualified to make the diagnosis, only a neurologist. Your chiro sounds like so many- a "slight curve" pinching a nerve and needing "adjustments". A friend of mine had back pain and her chiro said the same thing but when she went to an ortho to check the "curved spine" it was perfectly straight. He also said she had a "shorter leg". I said to her "after all these years your leg got shorter?" Then the chiro called it a "functionally short leg". He also wanted a contract.
          Karen
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Reply to Jenn80

Hi there Jenn this is my 1st post so bear with me ,I read your post with some interest, and you sound as if you are going down the same path as my self although it is my right side that is affected, I have suffered with trapped nerves and muscle spams in my lower back and down my right leg, and have well thought that it was to do with the nerve being trapped in my lower spine, I too like your self am finding that it is affecting my bladder and bowels causing much pain in my lower back until I releve myself.

I have had my Scoliosis since I was 11 years old I am now 51 years old now I have 4 grown up sons, up until 12 years ago I was working full time as a nurse but had to give it up because of my Scoliosis of the spine and Cervical spondylosis. I got diagnosed with Fibromayalgia a few years back which was brought on by the pain and lack of sleep.

Panthercat

Comment

Hi,
              I wanted to add that I had 2 c sections and on the second one they tried a spinal block instead of an epidural. They tried 18 times to put it in. It is very hard to tell if you have nerve damage due to the injection. but a neuro can order a m.r.i. to see. As far as chiropractor there are good and bad. I go but only to the ones that have no contracts. I also have had greater results in going to them then I have had going to orthos and neuros. So whatever works for you do it. I get major spasms due to the scoliosis and I relieve them with stretching. Sitting for long periods of time is the worst. Get up and walk and stretch. I have taught my kids to do some basic yoga, very basic LOL I have rods. I have not had to take one pain pill since seeign my new chiro. He has a different approach to chiro. This is his website if you want to just read what the (new) is. www.DrRacine.com also www.uppercervical.org Take care. Congrats on the new little one. Curious if you dont mind me asking was the c section due to not dilating or pelvic problems? MIne was, I wondered if this is common with scoliosis woman.
              Diagnosed 11 at school screening, surgery 16.
              Had Harrington rods w/fusions.
              Luque-thorasic.
              Full term pregnancies,no major issues.sciatica with the first. Epidurals with C-sections
              2005:lumbar reconstruction, 2 plates, 6 screws in sacrum, and 2 cages with my own bone.
              2007: cervical surgery to correct 4 bulging discs, two fusions with cages using cadaver bone.
              Both of my daughters have scoliosis. Both were diagnosed by 7.
              http://spinedoctors.md/ Dr, Jospeh Flynn Jr

Comment

Working...
              X