Walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking

Walking is something I know everybody is supposed to do I did walk up three houses I do walk around I walk around my deck but I'm so damn tired I just want to go to lie down...how much walking should I be doing at four weeks about The surgery was April 8. I don't want to be a pest but I don't know of who else to ask this question to. Also I am taking OxyContin 10mg twice a day oxycodone 5mg I think that's three times there is something that's a short acting on I'm taking Valium and gabapentin which they don't really care about but they want me to wean off of oxys and I want to also I just don't know how I do it I have such pain I take Tylenol but how do you wean off that stuff? Thanks.
    Last edited by cathydrew; 05-04-2015, 10:03 AM.
    Cathy
    2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
    54 years old March 5
    AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
    Surgery April 8 2015
    Presurgical curves T77 L66
    Post surgical T27 L22
    Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Cathy...

Since walking is so painful, I'm guessing that you shouldn't be trying to do more. In general, most people are told that they should be doing about 1 mile per day, with a goal of adding a little bit of distance whenever possible, as tolerated.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Cathy - I knew walking was important, too. I was stressing myself about not walking enough. I looked back at my Fitbit account and I was working hard to walk 500 steps for an entire day, at 7 weeks! I'm 6+ months out & I can walk 2 miles at one time, averaging 6-7000 steps a day. Do what you can & increase by tiny increments. If you have an activity monitor, keep track - it's really motivating!
      Peg
      61 yrs old
      75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
      T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
      Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

My walking went very slowly.....and it took me a almost a year to get to a mile. I finally did that in the Redwoods National Park Thanksgiving 2008. I have a thread with photos here of that trip. It helped to walk on those soft pine needles in Gods land.

At home, I just kept increasing the amount of homes I would make it to, and turn around. For months I didn’t increase the distance, just increased the frequency of the short walks.

When you walk, you will feel how you are doing. If you feel any pain, don t keep pushing, just head back home. Its when we push, we disturb things, soft tissues end up raw, and we sometimes have to sleep for days to recover. So don’t push hard.....Just a little bit each day, and one day at a time.

I actually fell hard on that Redwood trip, face forward over a large rock at night, and for a second I thought it was over.....That’s when I knew I was fused. No CT verification, but THE acid test at 10 months.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

It’s a good idea to have ski poles or walking sticks when you walk. One in each hand.....They add support, and if you slip they will help prevent a fall.

They are also good for balance.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I was on far more oxycontin than you and I was slow to get into walking as I was 19 days in hospital. After I came home, from day 20, I improved my walking but I still believe I had a slow start. And I was very sleepy all the time, which I put down to the oxycontin. The days went by quickly because I slept so much so there wasn't much time to walk. Yet, I had a great recovery and went on a swimming/snorkeling holiday o/s at 6 months and was gardening at 7 months (heavy duty, repotting about 100 bromeliads into new, bigger pots.) Never underestimate the improvement that can happen from about 2 months to 6 months. I'm over 6 years out now, and haven't had a squeak of pain since I went off the oxycontin (about 3 months out.) The early days are scary and we want to be on the same level as everyone else, but the truth is, we're all different and our recoveries are also very different.

Having said that, I feel the walking is important but you're so early at this point, I wouldn't be feeling too bad about it. You're probably doing about the same as I did. Just pick it up when you can, as the pain eases. My thoughts are perhaps you need more oxycontin if you're in a lot of pain (but I know this will be frowned upon.) I think you heal better when you're not in pain. Just my opinion.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
            X