Toilets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilets

This is a strange question, but here goes....Does anyone recommend their make/model of toilet? Not the special, fancy, bidet ones. Just a regular toilet that is elevated to ADA height (that's a new option these days). The choices are overwhelming me right now! We have a toilet from 1959 that needs replacing...maybe not in pink this time! Any help would be great! Thank you.
    T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
    10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
    Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
    At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
    Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
    Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
    Mom of 2 cuties!

We replaced all of ours (2 houses) with crane ones with elongated seats... but I'm sure most decent brands would work well. Just keep in mind that the placement of the toilet paper holder is important as well. I hate it when I go places and people have theirs where you have to do contortions to reach the TP! (unhappy face) My husband and I are so used to the higher toilets!!! Not a strange question at all. You go, girl!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I hope it isn't too late to respond. Susie Bee, I laughed out loud at "you go, girl." Seems fitting for a toilet thread. LOL

We bought a Kohler comfort height toilet from Home Depot about 12 years ago. It really has made a difference in that I struggle a bit to get down onto the toilet at work (it is 1950s and while not pink, is super low). The only complaint I have about the comfort height toilet that we bought is that it doesn't flush as well as our old toilets. Many new toilets have low flow so they use less water.

The best thing we bought was a Toto washlet (bidet) that replaces our old toilet seat. We got the one with unlimited hot water - it has a water heater built in rather than a tank. My main concern preop was that I wouldn't be able to handle my toileting since I can't bend anymore at the waist. The bidet attachment was a little over $900, and while that amount of money seems extravagant, I can't tell you what a blessing it has been, especially with all the impactions I had postop and the ileus. Some of these come with cold water only, which for me is a deal breaker. I can't imagine shooting cold water onto my bits!

So, if you can find a comfort height toilet that flushes really well, I would recommend it!

Happy going! LOL

Fifa

Comment

Thank you Fifa. I ordered a toilet and its on its way. We'll see what happens....
        T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
        10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
        Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
        At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
        Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
        Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
        Mom of 2 cuties!

Comment

I am glad they call them "comfort height" instead of handicapped. It makes you wonder why any adult would not want the comfort height. It seems that the "comfort height" should be the norm.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
          X