Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The trouble with insurance companies

Hi there,
    I'm wondering how many of us have experienced trouble with health insurance companies not covering alternative pain management ie; massage therapy.

In PA it is not recognized as a licensed profession therefor my healthcare insurance will not cover it. However if it was a workmans comp related injury or a vehicle accident related it would be covered according to my muscle therapist who is licensed in 2 other states but not PA.

Does anyone know how we can change the legislation in this state? Anybody have any ideas on how to sway insurance companies to recognize this as valid pain relief therapy?
    I have spent so much money on massage, and feel it has been worth every cent!
    Deep tissue massage has helped more than any PT I have had covered thru Insurance and yet it is not covered!!

Juliann

Hi Juliann,

I live in PA too. I have never been able to have insurance cover massages either. I have no idea how to remedy this. Maybe go to the PA website and look for health insurance or something.
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Juliann,

Have you asked your doctor to write a prescription for massage theraphy? My doctor had told me that if they didn't do it at my physical theraphy sessions he would right a prescription for it. Also, one of the massage salons that I went to also told me to get a prescription from the doctor; I would have to pay first then file with the insurance company.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Theresa,

Yes, my Dr. wrote a script and we had all the right codes on the receipts, etc. and I sent in all the paper work needed, but my plan which is Capital Blue Cross, denied coverage. It just is not part of my plan. I have the right to appeal. If you have any advice on what to say in an appeal to an Insurance co, I could use any and all opinions.
        Juliann

Comment

Working...
        X