Dang Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang Ice

I fell two weeks ago on ice outside a store in our town, hit the concrete pretty hard. I'm three months post-op, knee busted open, hurting , terrified, unsure of how to get up, so my ego was bruised when a gentleman 40 years to my 35 had to help me stand. Since I have had major pain in my low back area that leads down my hips and leg. Feels like sciatic pain, but also pressure from the end of my rib cage to my butt. I am going for an X-ray tomorrow since it has been two weeks and the pain has not eased ( only taking Tylenol and GABA) and it's too early for an anti inflammatory. I think it's just inflammation and nerve pain which there probably isn't much they can do. I am doing hot soaks, ice, bio-freeze, and any other trick in the book. Trying to avoid pain meds, any ideas of other things to help?
    Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Hi Tamena,

I'm really sorry to hear about your fall--I truly know how terrifying that must have been. I hope you get the all-clear on your x-rays today.

There have been a lot of falls this past year on the forum…you, me (down the stairs), susancook on the escalator, baby boomer…I know one thing I have noticed about having a long fusion is a loss of balance and ability to recover balance in certain directions.

Let us know how the x-rays turn out. Fingers crossed.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Tamena. Hope that x-rays show that everything is OK - please let us know and be careful with that ice! That must have been very scary.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Thanks guys! Had the X-rays taken and will wait for Kelly to call with results. I really think I just have inflammation.

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

I hope so.....You would know if something was really wrong.

We need some sort of inflatable spinal recovery safety system..... I don’t know if the insurance company would approve? (smiley face)
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZujSnOIwoM

Sally was roller skating years ago and I recommended wearing a backpack filled with foam. At least it offers some sort of protection.

A spinal recovery “fast acting” air bag system could be engineered and could save a lot of heartburn for spine patients. The trick would be to figure out exactly how to trigger it off....I mean you wouldn’t want to hug your husband and blow him across the room....that wouldn’t be good unless well, you know, you wanted to blow him across the room. He he

Hang in there
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Welcome to the Falls Club! Not a club to which others envy admission! Falling is so embarrassing, let alone very painful. If you ever come to Portland, I will show you the blood on my escalator at the Hilton.

I hope that everything is OK on X-rays. We are survivors. Let us know how the X-rays turn out.

Susan

PS: my brother did not fair as well on the escalator caper. He needed surgery to have his bicep reattached. Bummer. When we fell backwards, he was worried that both of our dresses would get sucked into the treads of the escalator, so he quickly picked both of us up and tore his bicep muscle from the attachment at the bone.
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

All is clear with the metal work. And it would be nice if we could wear an inflatable suit for falls, hehe! My ego was bruised along with just inflammation which only rest can fix.
              Thanks guys!

Braced till age 15

Comment

Wonderful news Tamena! I know what a big scare that was. Yes, we all need some sort of air-bag-suit in case of falls.

Take care and rest up,
                Gayle, age 50
                Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Tamena,
                  Glad to hear all is well. It is certainly scary when we fall.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                  X