Thoracotomy site - post-op pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoracotomy site - post-op pain

I'm now 2 and 1/2 weeks post-op and am handling the pain very well except at the site of my thoracotomy. The pain in the surrounding muscles is awful and the pain meds hardly touch it. I've been able to move and do more as each day passes and yet I find that each morning, I am more and more stiff in that area...I'm assuming due to my increased activity. Has anyone else experienced similar pain near the thoracotomy site post-op? If so, how did you handle it?

Thanks!

thoracotomy pain

This is common; I had it too. My pain doctor prescribed Neurontin(gabapentin). It is great for the nerve pain and is not a narcotic and not addictive. It is actually an anticonvulsant but used for pain. What also helped me was ice packs around the ribs where it hurts. I used to go to sleep with one on each side. Narcotics did not help me with nerve pain.
    Karen
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

definitely ask about the neurontin. i had severe nerve pain in my left leg and buttock after surgery and the narcotic pain relievers didn't begin to touch it. the neurontin has worked like a charm. mornings are always the toughest part of the day, but as time goes on it gets easier...really!
      Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
      T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
      Fused T3 - S1
      Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
      Dr. Robert G. Viere
      North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

Working...
      X