Question about Guns Post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Guns Post-op

Does anyone have experience with guns post-op? Pistols and semi-automatics? My husband and I were planning on going to a conceal and carry class in a few weeks (I'll be 4 months post-op) but they have you shoot 70 rounds with both a pistol and semi-automatic and am not sure exactly if the recoil would cause issues. Will be calling the doctor's assistant to ask tomorrow just to be sure but wanted to see if anyone had experience with it. I don't know much about guns or anything but was going to take it to learn about them, how to use them safely etc. Just in case we ever had a break in etc. (doubt I'd actually ever conceal and carry). But yeah, let me know of any thoughts. If I cancel I really hope they'd refund it, since I've already paid...

Hannah

I've never fired a gun but cannot imagine being able to do it four months post op. If the recoil is anything like my husband described to me, it would be painful and quite possibly detrimental.

Where will you be fused?
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I'm fused T2-L3. January 28th will be my 4 month post-op anniversary. The class is that next weekend.

Comment

would a note from surgeon not help...?
        surely the people who run the class do not want anyone
        injured at their facility...bad publicity and all...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
          would a note from surgeon not help...?
          surely the people who run the class do not want anyone
          injured at their facility...bad publicity and all...

jess
          I will call the nurse tomorrow and see if it's a good idea. If not, it was my fault for wanting to do things too soon. I'm sure I will be able to work something out with the company.

Comment

I used to fire a pistol and an M16 with the military. Both had a kick, especially the pistol for me. Also, we had to fire in multiple positions for qualification and doubt that you could get in all of them, but I do not know the requirements of the state for certification. Certainly check with your doctor for an OK.
            Ex-Captain, USNR Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
            X