Shake those hips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shake those hips?

If you are fused to sacrum, can you wiggle your hips? Specifically -- If you were doing the cha-cha or mambo, would anyone else know it?

I can do the cha-cha and mambo well enough that I don't think anyone would know that I'm fused, but I can't do a lot of the zumba movements.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
      ...but I can't do a lot of the zumba movements.
      I know this sounds weird -- but can you explain what movement you can't do? Shaking your hips from side to side, I'm guessing?

That's good news about you being able to dance in a non-Zumba setting

Comment

I can't shake/wiggle my hips separately from the rest of my torso, but I can kind of move the whole thing. No pelvic thrusting, tho! Lol.
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
          I can't shake/wiggle my hips separately from the rest of my torso, but I can kind of move the whole thing. No pelvic thrusting, tho! Lol.
          First, you gave me a good laugh about the thrusting. Second, does it feel weird when you try to move areas of your body that are immobile now? Or are you used to it!

Comment

I guess I'm used to it. It doesn't feel weird. Just something I cannot do. Imagine yourself in a hard-plastic or metal brace. That's what it feels like. You can move the muscles on the surface, but the bones don't move.
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

The side to side movements feel more natural, but the zumba movements I'm talking about are more the front and back hip movements that I can't really do. I still go to Zumba classes and at least feel like I'm getting a work out (I stay in the back row) On a brighter note, I am tap dancing in the front line!
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                I guess I'm used to it. It doesn't feel weird. Just something I cannot do. Imagine yourself in a hard-plastic or metal brace. That's what it feels like. You can move the muscles on the surface, but the bones don't move.
                I wish there was some way I could "practice" what it'll feel like to move with the fusion. I was actually thinking of belting a broomstick along my back and try to get stuff done around the house...

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                  The side to side movements feel more natural, but the zumba movements I'm talking about are more the front and back hip movements that I can't really do. I still go to Zumba classes and at least feel like I'm getting a work out (I stay in the back row) On a brighter note, I am tap dancing in the front line!
                  I love that you tap dance! I've seen your pics! So inspired by them.

And it'd good to hear you can still participate in Zumba even if you can't thrust those hips forward and back!

Comment

brace

The best way I can describe how I felt post fusion closely related to how I felt when I wore my Boston brace as a child. It was quite odd to remember after all these years. I am 3 months post op and am surprosed at how well I can move already... although my husband may disagree with that statement (if you know what I mean )
                    Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
                    53*T 71*L
                    Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
                    Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Originally posted by hasteffen View Post
                      ... although my husband may disagree with that statement (if you know what I mean )
                      Dirty bird

But also, a very helpful bird. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X