Infection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infection

I had surgery in august and now I have the flu. Last Friday I started having a running nose and sneezing and it got better and sometimes worse. Now I'm coughing (I'm like at the last stage when having a flu I guess) and I'm wondering could this cause infection? What would happen if I had and infection in my back? I will contact my surgeon if I'm not getting better (but I think I am getting better).
    Last edited by Kat3573; 12-25-2012, 03:47 PM. Reason: This forum was is a different section and I added unnecessary information

Kat, I'm not a doctor, but I don't see how getting the flu could cause an infection in your back. I'm pretty sure you're okay there. I hope you feel better soon. I can imagine that your back could be sore from all that coughing, though.

Take Care.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Honestly I'm not sore at all! Thanks for easing my mind!

Comment

You're welcome. =)
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

My guess is that most infections of the back are "seeded" in the very early intra-operative and post operative time when your back is open and the incisions have not completely sealed. You are fine now from exposing your back to infection, as long there are not any open areas along your incision. Doesn't mean that there cannot be a latent infection, one that doesn't appear until much later, but you will not expose your back to you "flu" or whatever you have now.

By now, you are probably feeling better. I sure hope so! Buy some of that hand sanitizer and use it often. Don't put your fingers in your mouth. Stay away from people that are sick.
          You will be fine. Don't hesitate to write again if something bothers you and you have a question.

Hope that you have healed well from your surgery. I loved your comments, they made me look differently at my situation in a good way!
          HUGS, Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Hi Kat,

I hope you are feeling better by now. It is definitely natural and understandable to worry about infection and other things after going through this surgery. It sounds like your back has healed so well.

I think most people with hardware infections have had localized pain, redness or swelling over or near their incision, and some start having drainage from a previously dry, healed incision.

The flu is from a virus, and hardware infections are from bacteria, probably staph, usually. So really they are unrelated. Try to get lots of rest, drink fluids, eat well, and soon you will be better. I'm glad that your back doesn't hurt with all the coughing. I remember a single sneeze being an excruciating event for me even at 4 months post-op.

Take care,
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Thanks guys! I feel much better! I'm back to normal! I worry too much sometimes. My scar is okay but the top part is like open but it's sealed idk how to describe it :s my surgeon that it was normal though

Comment

Hugs back at ya Susan!

Comment

Working...
                X