Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnes Jewish Hospital in St Louis, Mo

Read one blog about infection etc.

I had no concerns about it at all and specially after watching how careful the nurses where.

The rooms are cleaned once if not more. The hallways are always cleaned several times a day. I think one can safely eat off the floor.

The orthopedic floors has 400 beds ( I was told ) and there is a large number of spinal surgery surgeries. Fortunately, we were able to get a private room where my husband was staying every night. I would have never been able to get thru waking in the dark and being confused.

I was there almost 2 weeks and all my neighbors came and went (staying 2-3 nights)

The attitude of the nurses were a major factor on recovery. There is one that I will write an awful review because he caused me so much stress by being good and too 'advisy' but I am not. He was trying his best.

Over all, I want to thank every and each of the nurses but names and faces came and went.

Just a positive feedback that recuperation with good nursing staff is a major component. Now the food they serve is super bad. There is no reason that some flavor might hurt the appetite.

gak
    Gardenia
    Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
    pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
    Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
    T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Barnes Jewish

Hi Gardenia......Are you staying across the street from the Prkway Hotel. I will be here til Friday and wondering if you wanted to get together?

Patty
    1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
    1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
    Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
    December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Of course, I do

Patty,
      I have a check up with Bernie tomorrow at 8:30am (tuesdays are slowers days). If you feel like it later in the morning or Wed, Thurs early time are stronger for me.

Not too nice of weather but I am on the first floor with an outside patio.

MetroLoft 4535 which building C - apt 114. Call and Steve will let you in.

You must have had less to do than I did.

When do you return to see Dr Bridwell? any indication frequency?

gardenia
      Gardenia

Comment

Patty

You did it! How did everything go?

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed

Hi Ed, I had surgery on your birthday. Dr. Bridwell decided to only operate on L4-5. He took off a synovial cyst and decompressed that level and put rod and screws in. I was hoping he would fuse to the sacrum and he swears that level is clear yet my MRI said something totally different. I am doing awesome. Little pain and able to walk up and down the hallways without a lot of nerve pain. I am nervous, though, just waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak and afraid this won't last. I walked too much today and now I am very tight across my back tonight and pray I didn't do anything to hurt myself. I have felt so good and at times forget myself and then find myself doing a maneuver I shouldnt. I go in to seee the doctor Friday morning and then our flight takes off at 1 in the afternoon for home. I never thought in a million years I would be able to have this surgery and return home to attend Christmas gatherings but I amm feeling so awesome other than some weird sensnations tonnight I hope arent' fromm overdoing it. Ok, I will post a thread when I get home and hope you get to read this as you have been such a great help over the past months with all my questions.
          Patty
          1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
          1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
          Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
          December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Patty

Great news! Only one level, that’s fantastic. I’m wondering if he cleared out and decompressed areas on the other levels and decided to leave the other discs alone.....If so, and it works, that’s a good call on his part. We cant assume that pain only comes from the disc.

Which low levels are unfused? L5-S1, L2-L3, L3-L4 ? Is this correct?

On your x-ray now, you should have 4 screws and 2 little rod sections.

If this works, we are going to have to taper the PM’s down and keep it on the board because this really gives hope for MANY that are out there with large fusion masses above unfused lumbar areas. It’s the majority of fused scolis....To be able to go in, clean up, and back out without fusing is ALWAYS a good thing.

For now, you have 1 level that needs to fuse and you know the rules, try to take things real easy....(smiley face) No bending, no twisting and no spiked eggnog!

What a Christmas present!

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Merry Christmas! Glad that you escaped with minimal surgery. Take care of yourself!
              Remember that naps are not just for kids.
              HUGS, Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Box full...need to send you a PM

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                Patty

You did it! How did everything go?

Ed
                Ed; Your popularity has overfilled your box! Need to send you a PM> HELP!
                Susan
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Ed...

It's unlikely that Dr. Bridwell decompressed additional levels, as doing so is pretty risk in someone with a curvature, as it destabilizes the spine.

--Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                    Ed; Your popularity has overfilled your box! Need to send you a PM> HELP!
                    Susan
                    Oy, oy ,oy! I delete every day....but I keep getting hit from all angles. (scoliosis pun)

I try to post here at night time. Its impossible for me to read during the daytime anymore.....

Whats going on?

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Patty and I met today !!!!

I am so delighted to meet someone in the same boat. However, she looks so much better and ready to take on life head on. I hope this is her last intervention, she needs to trust Dr Bridwell sometimes conservative and cautious is good as I am sure he has seen almost everything.

Thanks, Patty for coming over.... Have a great and comfortable flight home on Friday. I am still enslaved here for another month.
                      Gardenia

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                        Oy, oy ,oy! I delete every day....but I keep getting hit from all angles. (scoliosis pun)

I try to post here at night time. Its impossible for me to read during the daytime anymore.....

Whats going on?

Ed
                        I need to borrow some courage....Susan

Comment

Working...
                        X