Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops...I just fell! :/

Hi guys,

Just a quick post to say, I forgot myself for a moment and broke into a fast walk (nearly a run) up the last few stairs in my house and my foot slipped and missed a step and I sort of fell up the stairs. Luckily I was holding on to the bannister and caught myself so didn't go flying down the stairs but I heard a little pop (think it was more my hip/lower back in the unfused area that I felt it. It was a shock to the system but I'm worried now that I may have disrupted the fusion, or even worse broken the rod or something. Would I know this for sure if it had happened?

Thanks!

Vic
    xx
    Vic
    30 yr old, Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis, Dbl compensatory curve, diagnosed age 14
    Rt Thoracic approx 60 degrees
    Lft Lumbar approx 60 degrees
    Proposed 2 stage A/P fusion T4-L4 or L5 (TBC)
    Consultant - Stewart Tucker, RNOH
    Seeking Second opinion - James Wilson Macdonald, Manor Hospital, Oxford
    Love my friends, family, the island of Mallorca, and eating great food!
    My Pre-Surgery X-Rays
    (Front Xray) http://i48.tinypic.com/mvlusw.jpg
    (Side Xray) http://i48.tinypic.com/s2f6na.jpg

Hi there,

sorry to hear that--it would be best to call your surgeon's office and explain it to them, to see if they want any x-rays.

When I broke my rods I had extremely loud, distinct "pops" that are unnatural noises to come from the human body, followed by pain.

Good luck,
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hi...

I doubt that the type of fall you took would be enough to dislodge anything. Falls after surgery are actually pretty common. I fell down an entire flight of stairs about 5 months after my first fusion. Scared the crap out of me. I also tripped and fell hard on a marble floor about 2 months after my surgeries 2 years ago. In both cases, everything but my pride was fine.

If you have new pain that doesn't feel like it's soft tissue related, you should call your surgeon's office.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
      X