Spinal Surgery and Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinal Surgery and Turkey

This is a random question, but I am just curious. Several years after the surgery, when you are all healed, can/should you put the turkey in and out of the oven? I understand that there should not be any lifting restrictions after a year, but to pull the turkey off the oven you have to bend forward and lift 14-18 pounds, which is not the most ergonomic way to lift something heavy. Is that Ok to do or pulling turkey off the oven should be husband's job if he wants to eat that turkey?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Irina

My biggest problem with Thanksgiving has to do with overeating. Sometimes, I cant help it, and really pay a price! Its hard to process that much food. If I don’t post this weekend, you know what happened. (smiley face) I have found that digestive health is critical to how I feel....

I can certainly lift a turkey out of the oven, regardless of bending over and being in a bad position. I do have permission to lift 100# I also don’t have to worry about discs below a fusion mass since I’m fused all the way down. I think of it as a benefit.

I know this is hard to believe and even I had my doubts, but as time passed I would lift more and more. This happened after I was 18 months post during the very slow process of rebuilding of my soft tissues. My strength came back during the 2nd and 3rd years of my recovery.

It’s always best to simply ask for help lifting things. I actually had the bagger girls load my groceries into my car for the longest time after my surgeries, and had them load the bags 1/2 full. You simply say I have a million dollar spine and I’m fused from the neck to the knees. (smile when you do this) Unloading the car at home might take a few more trips...I don’t do this anymore because I’m completely recovered now.

Have a happy Thanksgiving!
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Happy turkey day to you

I would err on thesideof caution and have hubby lifttheturkey out of the oven. Better to be safe than sorry. I have not had my surgery yet, and I ask for help all the time. Enjoy.

Comment

I have hubby do it, but I'm not fused all the way down and still have weight limitations-- closer to 20+ a little. Besides, my PT instructions for lifting anything low= to squat, bring it close to your body, then stand with it. (BTW, that's the correct way for anyone, but especially someone already at risk.) The oven door ruins that... And the turkey is unstable as it can shift in the pan a little. If there's someone around, why risk it?
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I would also ask for help in this matter.Why not?I am sure if there was an emergency I would lift what was necessay--like a grandchild,but I would think anything that you can be helped with---should be!
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
          Osteotomy

Comment

Husband...yes, taking any chance for difficulty in doing it yourself...NO!
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I'm 4 years post-op. In the beginning of my post op period, I did ask for my husband to do most of this stuff, but not anymore. We always fry our turkey outside (and that's hubby's job), but I was putting some really heavy pans in and out of the oven yesterday. Plus, my range is a Wolf, and the racks are lower than conventional ranges. I do just fine.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
              X