progressing curvature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• progressing curvature

I find it very hard to believe that the medical world can't come up with something to help an adult curvature from getting worse and maybe getting better. As I was lying down for 40 minutes getting an MRI for my pain management doctor to look at, I started thinking about this. All I heard was all the terrible risks from surgery and there is no way I will ever have that. I have tried inversion,tens, yoga, PT, swimming, jacuzzi, chiro, and thats all I can think of at the moment. I know wearing a support or brace is not recommended, but there must be somthing out there to help the pain and progression. The progressing is the hard part, just letting the curve get worse and worse........

progression

Once adult curves are established the vertebrae become wedge shaped and get progressively more wedge shaped as time goes on. Here's a link with a picture found elsewhere on this forum.

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/AlternativesDontWork.htm

The general consensus is that idiopathic scoliosis is partially genetically caused. Some researchers think it might come from the central nervous system(brain). It's maddening, I know.

Karen

Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I'm with you! -- if they could just control the progression. If I could keep the level of pain and (mild) deformity (55-degree thoracolumbar) I have now, that would be A-OK with me. It's manageable. But if breathing problems start...that's a different story. I'm just hoping I have a couple of years before I feel forced into surgery.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
      X