Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

traction devices: do they work do decrease the curve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• traction devices: do they work do decrease the curve?

Hello,

I am a 25 year old male with "S" shaped scoliosis, developed since my youth (even have used a Milwaukee vest from 14-16). My scoliosis has a 32 degree angle as primary curve (thoracic) and at same time a 24 degree compensatory curve in the lumbar. My hips and shoulds are even, so using a shirt I look pretty much straight.

Although presently I do not feel any serious compromise in my daily duties (but I admit that standing on foot for more than 1 hour is no fun) I am interested on the use of traction devices to try to reduce the curve for my well being and avoid any future risks of having a surgery.

I have been reading on the Internet about Magnaspine (www.magnaspine.com). I'd like to know from anyone does believe that using such thing and also doing some swimming or fisiotherapy would I be able to reduce such curve.

Wait for your feedback
    -------------------------
    Henrique Seganfredo
    Joinville, SC, Brazil

Hi there to Brazil!

I think the general consensus is that exercise/physiotherapy etc can only help the postural aspect of the curve, not the "structural" element: that is, it might look like you straightened up two or three degrees, but any improvement would really just be eliminating any slouch or bad posture and making sure that your muscles were doing the best job they could. (I think Linda Racine posted on what "structural" scoliosis means, you could search for the post using that word in the search engine.)

There is a new therapy in testing called Pneumex, which uses traction and then exercises the muscles in the tractioned positions. You can find information online, but it's probably only available yet in the US.

With curves in the low 30s, you would probably be safe from progression, no? I understood that usually only curves over 40 progressed. Of course, if you are having pain you should definitely look into various therapies.

Good luck and take care. ~Laura
    ps I also wore a Milwaukee brace (yuck) as a teenager. I am now 29, with progressing curves of about 49 upper and about 30 lower.
    30y/o
    Upper curve around 55
    Lower curve around 35

Comment

TRACTION

Would love to hear more on the magnaspine???

Comment

Re: TRACTION

Did you check their homeçage or you already know about the product? I did not understood your reply...

Originally posted by GHD1959
        Would love to hear more on the magnaspine???
        Henrique Seganfredo
        Joinville, SC, Brazil

Comment

MAGNASPINE.

I checked there website and couldn't get a price to come up.

Comment

Re: MAGNASPINE.

I checked the Portuguese version and got the price, then coverted it to US Dollars...total: 176,00

I have no idea about how much the shipping and handling would cost for you...

Originally posted by GHD1959
            I checked there website and couldn't get a price to come up.
            Henrique Seganfredo
            Joinville, SC, Brazil

Comment

Working...
            X