Yoga for Scoliosis Tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga for Scoliosis Tape

I know there have been postings on the topic of Elise Browning Miller's "Yoga for Scoliosis" tape before. I got the tape over a year ago but only started consistently and seriously practicing yoga a few months ago. I felt my back getting worse and was experiencing significant pain, depression, feeling disempowered and hopeless as a result, etc.

I have really found this tape to be of SIGNIFICANT help to me in terms of both pain reduction and appearance. The yoga poses help you to "re-map" the way you hold your body and show you how to compensate for your curves in ways that put less stress on the spine. I was looking at my torso yesterday, and I have to say that my ribs on the left side look far more even with my right ribs now. My mother also commented that my right shoulder blade seems to protrude less. I'm sure that my curves remain unchanged, but the difference is that I'm now learning how to hold my body more correctly. I also feel much better psychologically because now I feel that I can DO something to help my scoliosis.

If you're interested, you can get more information at www.yogaforscoliosis.com.

I've been meaning to get this for a while, so thanks for the recommendation. Do you mind me asking, what degrees are your curves? (just to compare if I try the video) Laura
    30y/o
    Upper curve around 55
    Lower curve around 35

Comment

Hi, Laura -- When my curves were last measured, the upper curve was 33 and the lower was I believe 23 or 25. I haven't been back in quite a while, though (I'm sort of scared since I can tell I've gotten shorter and I've had a couple of kids as well). It is amazing how much discomfort a relatively low degree of curvature can cause.

Elise Browning Miller herself has a thoracic curve of 49 and one of the students in the tape clearly has a very significant thoracic curve with a large degree of rotation. Elise has modifications for the positions that are more difficult for people with scoliosis to perform, which is extremely helpful.

Comment

Thanks! I ordered the video. My MD recommended trying some gentle yoga, so we'll keep our fingers crossed Take care ~Laura
        30y/o
        Upper curve around 55
        Lower curve around 35

Comment

Best of luck with the tape! It really is fun once you do it a couple of times and become familiar with the poses. Take care,
          Erica

Comment

Hey, I also use her DVD.
            Just get confused when she starts pointing out what to do for your curve
            as I have a left lumbar and a right thoro/// so I dont know which way to turn hehe

Comment

I purchased this video, but usually don't have time (or a place for that matter) to follow it. After doing it a few times, I figure it's a good thing, although I doubt it will help things out much...

Comment

Recently Diagnosed With Scoliosis

Hi, my name is Laura, I am 49 & I live in northern Canada. I have just been diagnosed the past 6 weeks. I have had back discomfort for about the last 3-4 years - I was assuming it was due to the way I walk - I had a total hip replacement 15 years ago. The hump is on my lower right side of my back, I noticed that most seem to be in the upper back. My curve is - 40 degree on my lower and 20 degree on my upper, I have arthritis starting to develope & a bit of fusing in the vertabrae's. I am an avid walker & weight lifter - these activities have been my saviour so the doctor informed me. I would really like to try yoga, but being up north, we are limited to services. Ho w would you rate this video on a scale of 1-10?? Would you recommend that a person join a yoga class to learn proper technique first??

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Erica M
                I know there have been postings on the topic of Elise Browning Miller's "Yoga for Scoliosis" tape before. I got the tape over a year ago but only started consistently and seriously practicing yoga a few months ago. I felt my back getting worse and was experiencing significant pain, depression, feeling disempowered and hopeless as a result, etc.

I have really found this tape to be of SIGNIFICANT help to me in terms of both pain reduction and appearance. The yoga poses help you to "re-map" the way you hold your body and show you how to compensate for your curves in ways that put less stress on the spine. I was looking at my torso yesterday, and I have to say that my ribs on the left side look far more even with my right ribs now. My mother also commented that my right shoulder blade seems to protrude less. I'm sure that my curves remain unchanged, but the difference is that I'm now learning how to hold my body more correctly. I also feel much better psychologically because now I feel that I can DO something to help my scoliosis.

If you're interested, you can get more information at www.yogaforscoliosis.com.

Comment

I have the DVD but i don't have the self discapline to do it every day. When I do do it, I feel like I can breathe better and I feel straighter- but the next day I am usually really sore from all the stretching. I'm sure if you did it on a regular basis like the other people on here have it would be realy beneficial.
                  aBbiE
                  22 yr old F,KU college student
                  Kyphoscoliosis...
                  Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
                  Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
                  I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
                  Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                  all smiles!

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I'll take a look at the tape. I hope I'll find it beneficial.

Comment

Yoga does help

I have been doing yoga for over 30 yrs. It has definitely helped me keep flexible & ease pain. My curves now are 49u/39l....definitely an increase since my 20s but I have managed to stay out of surgery. I have taken several classes/tapes over the years. One thing I have learned: YOU MUST GO SLOWLY & LEARN TO RECOGNIZE YOUR BODY'S RESPONSE TO YOGA.

Just because a teacher or client (even those with scoliosis) on a tape is doing an exercise doesn't necessarily mean you can do it...it may even hurt you. Holding a pose for as long as the teacher can be painful. I have to adapt their programs to my style to not hurt myself. Learn to recognized your strain in yoga & ease off.

Also pilaties or callenetics help. I usually just lay on the floor & contort my body into poses that feel good....seems that helps the most esp. when I get quiet & listen to the pain. Finally, learn to breathe into the exercise/pain. Most will tense against the pain. If you find a yoga pose that feels good on the pain, hold it briefly & breathe into it. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the tape recommendation. I will check into it.

Comment

Can you do these exercises even if you have had surgery and have a rod in your back?

Comment

Hi Leslie...

While I have the DVD, I actually haven't watched all of it. I know, however, that at least one of Elise's students has had scoliosis surgery. You might want to check with Elise to make sure:

http://www.yogaforscoliosis.com/contactus.html

Regards,
                            Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                            X