Question:wAlking post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question:wAlking post-op

At about 3 weeks post-op how far were you all walking. The last two days I've walked 1/3 mile and have needed all the pain Meds prescribed. Before the walk today I was able to skip a Vicodin dose at 10am and cut my Valium in half at my noon time. But after the walk, no more skipping doses/ weaning. I needed it all.

Just wanted to see if any others can give their experiences?

Hannah

Different for everyone...

Hi. I cut out my meds at about two weeks post op and felt fine during the first couple of days but then realized I wasn't able to walk very far and I felt uncomfortable, and not able to sleep well. So now I take my anti inflammatory and do what I can. At night if I need a pain killer to help get better sleep I take it. I also only do ONe thing a day. If I shower, that's all I do I stay home and relax. If I go on a long walk, that's all I do. Seems like everything takes SO much energy that I really will only allow myself one task. I'm walking 1.5 miles If i walk by my house (hills) and I do it in different stages. If I walk flat- I just walk until I feel tired... But I think everyone is so different so as long as u are doing a bit more each week you're fine! Oh And Iron pills really helped my energy, ten fold! I'm 4 weeks 2 days post-op .
    Also I really think sleep is invaluable right now and try to do that as much as possible.

Comment

I didn't even think about cutting down my medication for about 6 weeks post op.

First of all, I think we need to listen to our bodies. Overdoing it and hurting isn't going to help. Perhaps keep on the full meds you were given and you will probably find you can walk a little further each day. I don't think you need to be worried about the distance so much as the regularity - do it every day. 1/3 of a mile sounds really good at such an early stage.

King, I am wondering what anti-inflammatory you are on and did the surgeon prescribe it? I'm open to correction but I thought anti-inflammatories were a no-no for the first 6 months? It might be worth checking.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post

King, I am wondering what anti-inflammatory you are on and did the surgeon prescribe it? I'm open to correction but I thought anti-inflammatories were a no-no for the first 6 months? It might be worth checking.
        I totally stand corrected, thank you for my mishap. I didn't realize exactly what I said. I take a muscle relaxer.. Robaxin- sorry for confusion. At night I will sometimes take Percocet.

Comment

Originally posted by king14 View Post
          I totally stand corrected, thank you for my mishap. I didn't realize exactly what I said. I take a muscle relaxer.. Robaxin- sorry for confusion. At night I will sometimes take Percocet.
          Robaxin is great!!
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Glad to hear it King!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hannah

Both you and King are a bit younger than me so its hard to compare, but it sounds like both of you are doing great.

I wouldn’t be concerned about a particular distance covered at a particular time. I think the main thing is to walk often, but shorter walks. Doing a marathon will only make you sore....All of us hit our pain limits at some point.

Fusion takes many months. In the beginning right after surgery, you are healing at a fast rate. The one thing you don’t want to do is fall, and of course bending and twisting are not good things to do right now.

Keep notes on meds, food, on everything....Talk to your surgeon about reduction or weaning off meds.

You guys are past the hardest part. Things will improve every day....

Congratulations

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment