What am I feeling in my back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I feeling in my back?

I had spinal surgery for a double curve back in May. My rods run from T-2 to the sacrum. I have been struggling with the things that I am feeling in my back because I have no clue what they are. I thought maybe some of you who have had spinal fusions could help explain to me just what it is I am feeling back there. Sometimes I think it is my muscles, other times I wonder if it is the hardware I am feeling. One time my granddaughter told me that it was my shoulder blades that I was feeling when I would lean back into the pillow or the car seat. When I lay on my back in bed, I feel things and it doesn't feel like muscles but I don't know what the heck it is. I have a tempur-pedic bed so it is comfortable and not hard but I still for the life of me cannot figure out what it is I am feeling. I can't even describe it but it definitely feels different than before I had surgery. I keep trying to tell myself that one day it will all heal and it won't matter what I'm feeling now but it would help me if I knew what I was feeling in order to get through all this now. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Marjorie
    Surgery in 2 phases, May 17 & May 22, 2012
    Prior to surgery: Thoracic 75, Lumbar 45
    After surgery: Thoracic 27, Lumbar 28
    Surgeon: Dr. Nathan Lebwohl, Miami, FL
    Marjorie

Marjorie,
    I had many odd sensations going on in my back after surgery. I think it's totally normal. If I ever leaned back in a chair without a pillow behind my back, such as a church pew, I could have sworn that I had a 2 by 4 board attached to my shoulder blades.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Two "Marjorie's"

Hello, mbeckett. So there are two Marjorie's on this site, and we spell our names the same way. I will have to sign myself as "Aunt M" in future.

I am new to severe back issues, but I've had "bad knees" for most of my life. Still haven't gone bionic in the knee department. However, I did have knee hardware in my tibias for about three years in my youth. I said, "Hardware hurts." Doc #1 said, "No it doesn't." Doc #2 took out the hardware, and within months I was way better. Of course, I was a lot younger then.

So, can you ask the doc, "Can any of this hardware come out, now that I'm fused?" Maybe the answer is no, in which case, you just have to get used to the strange feeling. Or maybe, some annoying thing can be removed.

With the knee thing, I had bilateral surgery on Weds. before Thanksgiving, missed my Weds. college classes, and walked 3/4 mile to classes by Mon morning. By the summer, I was kneeling in the dirt on an archaeological excavation, and feeling 100% better.

Aunt M.

Comment

I think it's the hardware and the rigidness of our fusing spines. Mine feels exactly like my Boston brace I wore as a teenager! My entire abdomen feels rigid, even though it's just my spine. The pain part of it is ever so gradually getting better, though. I do think/hope we will feel "normal" with time.

Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Marjorie,
          I know what you mean when you say that you feel "something" different in your back, but you don't know know what it is. At 17 mos post-op, I still feel like I am carrying a small tight backpack in my thoracic area. When i lie down, it initially feels like I am resting on thick ropes. i guess those are muscles. Leaning back slightly is helpful, but it generally re-appears when I am walking or doing things like cooking. It's not really painful, just really annoying at times. I am hoping that the feeling will eventually go away or that I just won't notice it as much. Hope that the feeling eventually disappears for you too.

Donna
          Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
          Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
          Fused T3-L3
          60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
          Tennis player & returning to the courts!
          http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

2 by 4 board

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
            Marjorie,
            I had many odd sensations going on in my back after surgery. I think it's totally normal. If I ever leaned back in a chair without a pillow behind my back, such as a church pew, I could have sworn that I had a 2 by 4 board attached to my shoulder blades.
            Yes, that is close to one of the things I am feeling when I lay down or lean back into something. You describe it as a 2x4 board across your shoulder blades, that's a good description. It helps to know that this is something familiar to others as well. Thank you for sharing that and for the description. I didn't know how to describe it.

Marjorie
            Marjorie

Comment

Originally posted by walkingmom View Post
              Marjorie,
              I know what you mean when you say that you feel "something" different in your back, but you don't know know what it is. At 17 mos post-op, I still feel like I am carrying a small tight backpack in my thoracic area. When i lie down, it initially feels like I am resting on thick ropes. i guess those are muscles. Leaning back slightly is helpful, but it generally re-appears when I am walking or doing things like cooking. It's not really painful, just really annoying at times. I am hoping that the feeling will eventually go away or that I just won't notice it as much. Hope that the feeling eventually disappears for you too.

Donna
              Thank you Donna for responding. Yes, that is another thing that I feel all the time in my back. That my what I'm assuming are muscles are very tight back there. When I do my stretching exercises for my shoulders, it helps for a little bit but then that tightness returns. I also have this odd feeling on just one side of my back like someone is poking me just under my left shoulder blade. It's all so strange and I'm thankful that none of it is painful just annoying like you said. I'm only 4 1/2 months post-op and I see that you are 17 months post-op and still experiencing things. I guess as time passes these sensations will eventually go away and the time line is probably different for every person.

Marjorie
              Marjorie

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                I think it's the hardware and the rigidness of our fusing spines. Mine feels exactly like my Boston brace I wore as a teenager! My entire abdomen feels rigid, even though it's just my spine. The pain part of it is ever so gradually getting better, though. I do think/hope we will feel "normal" with time.

Evelyn
                Wow, this forum is such a help. That is very interesting Evelyn when you say it feels like your Boston brace because there have been times that it feels like I am still wearing my stimulator but I took it off hours ago and it still feels like I am wearing something back there. I don't have pain in my back any more (unless I overdo it I get an achy feeling) which is such a relief just all these other unknown annoying sensations. I'm glad to know that it isn't just me and the sensations seem to be common to others who have had this surgery. In my case, I am experiencing all three sensations that this forum has brought up but keeping in mind I am only 4 1/2 months post-op, I'm hoping things will settle down as time goes on. Thank you for responding and I pray your pain and back feel better real soon too!

Marjorie
                Marjorie

Comment

I had various sharp pains throughout my back for a long time. They would appear, diminish, reappear, move around, etc. I thought it might be nerve endings waking up. Anyway, it certainly got better during my first year post-op.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                  X