2 years post op and all is well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 years post op and all is well

Hi All - I haven't been on here in quite a while but thought I'd check in. I had my 2 year post op check up with Dr Bridwell in St Louis Aug 31. Everything looked good and is holding well and he said that the fusion looks really good. I've had no problems and have been playing a lot of golf, working out with a trainer once a week, doing pretty much everything (except heavy lifting and no bending over to lift anything). I don't have to go back for a year! Just wanted everyone who is considering surgery to know that there are a lot of success stories out there.

Lisa
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Lisa,
    Glad to hear it! I remember you saying: "I don't even think about my back anymore." Can't wait until I get to that point!! I'm 6-7 months post-op. We should so lunch soon!

Cheers,
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Good to hear from you. I emailed you the day before your surgery but don't know if you ever received it. Sounds like you're doing well. i'd love to do lunch when you feel up to it. Let me know. Take care!

I
      Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
      Lisa,
      Glad to hear it! I remember you saying: "I don't even think about my back anymore." Can't wait until I get to that point!! I'm 6-7 months post-op. We should so lunch soon!

Cheers,
      Evelyn
      Age 56
      Thoracic 68
      Dr Bridwell St Louis

Comment

Hi, Lisa,
        It's so good to hear from you, again. You are four months ahead of me and gave me a lot of encouragement. I remember sharing that we both enjoyed playing golf. I've been playing since February and it's been better than I ever expected. I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Lisa,

It is so nice to hear reports like that! Thank you for sharing.
          I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
          45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
          A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Great report!

Hi Lisa,

Congratulations on receiving such a great report! It's so encouraging to hear from those like yourself who have returned to your favorite activities like golf.

Donna
            Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
            Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
            Fused T3-L3
            60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
            Tennis player & returning to the courts!
            http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Nice report! Gives those of us more to look forward to.

Thanks!
              Tamena
              Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Lisa--
                Good to hear from you--and with such a great report! That's awesome. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

What a good news post! Glad things turned out so well for you Lisa!
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

The lifting restriction is typically lifted sometime between 3-6 months. I'm unclear as to why some patients are told that it's permanent.
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I believe lifting is OK as long as you bend your knees and keep your back straight. There is a right and a wrong way to lift even if you have never had back problems. I am glad you are doing so well Lisa. It is a definite encouragement to those considering surgery.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                        The lifting restriction is typically lifted sometime between 3-6 months. I'm unclear as to why some patients are told that it's permanent.
                        Hi Linda- since I was originally fused in Indy for spondylolisthesis L4-S1 and then Dr Bridwell fixed the scoliosis and fused me from T3- L1. He just wants me to be careful lifting so we can preserve my infused area L1-l4. He said not to bend over to lift anything heavy. I can lift; just wants me to watch how I do it and not overly heavy. Trying not to fuse L1-L4 area.
                        Age 56
                        Thoracic 68
                        Dr Bridwell St Louis

Comment

That's great news, Lisa!

I believe my lifting restrictions are also due to the lower unfused vertebrae. BLTs restrictions. But I just had my 5 year appt. and everything looks excellent. When I overdo, my lower back acts up and so does my sciatica. I can tell that I can't lift heavy amounts. It hurts in my lower back and pelvic area.
                          Last edited by Susie*Bee; 10-04-2012, 08:49 PM.
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Lisa

Its nice to see the good report!

Now at 2 years, do you think you are 100% completely through your recovery? Are you past the fatigue stage?

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                            X