First time thread. Surgery April 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time thread. Surgery April 2013

I've been reading this forum for several years debating on whether or not to have surgery. It was actually on this forum that I first heard of Dr. Lenke. I saw him two years ago and I decided to
    wait for surgery because I did not have much pain. However, last March, x rays show significant progression of my upper and lower curves and I scheduled my surgery for April 2013. The surgery is a posterior
    spinal fusion T3-Sacrum/ilium, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion, SPOs T5-10,T10-L3. Please let me know any helpful hints or advice that will make the surgery and recover a success. I'd also like to hear more about Dr. Lenke.
    I'm 44 years old and am very nervous. I look forward to your comments. maggie
    44 years old, right thoracic curve 63 degrees, thoracolumbar major curve 75 degrees, thoracic kyphosis 39 degrees.

Hi Maggie! Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of folks to follow that have been where you are.
    I am also a patient of Dr. Lenke. I will be having surgery with him next Friday (OCT.5). I will be fused T4-sacrum. This forum is most helpful!
    Best,
    Heidi
    Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
    53*T 71*L
    Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
    Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

good luck

Originally posted by hasteffen View Post
      Hi Maggie! Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of folks to follow that have been where you are.
      I am also a patient of Dr. Lenke. I will be having surgery with him next Friday (OCT.5). I will be fused T4-sacrum. This forum is most helpful!
      Best,
      Heidi
      Thanks for responding. I will be thinking about you and will keep you in my prayers. Maggie
      44 years old, right thoracic curve 63 degrees, thoracolumbar major curve 75 degrees, thoracic kyphosis 39 degrees.

Comment

Hi Maggie,
        Isn't the forum great? I bet you'll hear from lots of Dr Lenke's patients and their experiences. I had surgery w/ Dr Lenke two years ago (just had my check up and everything looks good). As hard as it was to face the surgery and endure the recovery, I had a great experience w/ Dr Lenke and the hospital and I'm thrilled with the results. My future looks full of fun and activity, instead of debilitation. Will you have to travel very far to St Louis? Planning to travel and go to a hotel after the hospital was daunting for me. You will get the benefit of the experience of many of us in the weeks to come. For now, count me as one of Dr Lenke's fans, and I'm really happy for your surgery!
        nancy
        Age 58
        Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
        original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
        fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

Hi, Maggie,
          My surgery was Jan. 5, 2011 with Dr. Lenke at age 60. I have had a smooth recovery and I am thrilled to no longer be self conscious about my back. Feel free to email me and I can send you some links about Dr. Lenke and also answer any specific questions you might have.
          Pottoff@htc.net
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

movement

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
            Hi, Maggie,
            My surgery was Jan. 5, 2011 with Dr. Lenke at age 60. I have had a smooth recovery and I am thrilled to no longer be self conscious about my back. Feel free to email me and I can send you some links about Dr. Lenke and also answer any specific questions you might have.
            Pottoff@htc.net
            . I was worried about limited movement but you looked great swinging a golf club. Maggie

Comment

travel

Originally posted by nanlo View Post
              Hi Maggie,
              Isn't the forum great? I bet you'll hear from lots of Dr Lenke's patients and their experiences. I had surgery w/ Dr Lenke two years ago (just had my check up and everything looks good). As hard as it was to face the surgery and endure the recovery, I had a great experience w/ Dr Lenke and the hospital and I'm thrilled with the results. My future looks full of fun and activity, instead of debilitation. Will you have to travel very far to St Louis? Planning to travel and go to a hotel after the hospital was daunting for me. You will get the benefit of the experience of many of us in the weeks to come. For now, count me as one of Dr Lenke's fans, and I'm really happy for your surgery!
              nancy
              I will be traveling from Lawrence Kansas which is about 4 1/2 hours. My husband and I plan to stay in a hotel after I'm dismissed from the hospital. With the surgery still 6 months away I haven't got all the details figured out yet. Maggie

Comment

Working...
              X