Sutures coming through skin??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sutures coming through skin??

This is something I've heard and read about but haven't experienced...BUT...a couple of days ago in the shower I felt what appeared to be some kind of skin tag on my back, slightly above and to the left of my incision, which started bleeding when I toweled off. It stopped bleeding and felt slightly sore after that, and kind of like a pimple. This morning it was bothering me more so I got a hand mirror and checked myself out...and there are two pieces of what appear to be fishing line poking out!!

I'll be calling Boachie's office later this morning but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen years after their surgery. Should I have the sutures cut off, or cover it up, or ......what?? And of course, I'm wondering what I always do: should I worry???? Thanks!!!!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Hi...

This is a lot of years for it to happen, but I don't think it's totally abnormal. They may want to culture it to find out if there's any infection.

I didn't have any problem with my back incisions, but I've had stitches from at least 3 other surgeries make their way to the surface months after surgery.

Hope yours is benign.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda, Boachie's office advised me to go to my local doc, which I did, and she just cut off the suture ends. There was no redness or swelling anywhere around where the ends poked out and what I thought was a pimple was actually another slightly bunched-up bit of suture. If I'd seen your message before I went I would have asked her to culture it but too late now. If it happens again I definitely will but it feels absolutely fine so I'm hoping it was just a weird one-time thing. My back is really skinny; I wonder if that has anything to do with it??
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

If it's been lying there beneath the surface all this time, it's surprising it hasn't caused some sort of irritation. Amazing story!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Chris...

I think they culture them if the area is showing signs of infection. I wouldn't worry about it.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
          X