Standing with Bent Knees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing with Bent Knees

My yoga teacher noticed that I am always standing with my knees bent and she wants me have my legs straight. I have to make a conscious effort to keep my legs straight. Is keeping your legs bent a typical scoliotic posture or I just have a bad habit?
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Hi Irina...

If you straighten your legs, do you have a tendency to bend forward slightly? If so, you probably have some sagittal imbalance. It's very common, when one has lower back pain, to lean forward slightly, to unload the painful part of the spine. When you've done that for any length of time, it becomes difficult, or even impossible, to straighten up again. Then, to keep looking forward, you bend the hips and knees. It is fairly common in us "older" patients.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Yes, Linda, I lean forward. I just never paid attention to my knees. Actually, straightening them up causes more discomfort and it feels like ribs are pushing my pelvis bone even harder. I guess that's why I unconsciously lean forward and bend my knees.

Comment

You are bending your knees as compensation to right your body upright so that you don't fall over. It brings your hips more posterior so that they are over your heels. Linda is right on with her answer. I looked up sagittal imbalance on google.com last week and found lots of very interesting info. The reason that I was looking itup as I do the opposite, that is, I lean backwards which may be saggital imbalance is in the opposite direction from yours?? Linda, what do you think??? Susan
        Last edited by susancook; 09-11-2012, 04:26 AM.
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Another odd thing in my posture that I just discovered in yoga classes, is that when I am told to stand straight, my right foot is always forward. I didn't even realize I was doing it. I have to look down at my feet to make sure they are parallel. It's probably because I have severe shift to the right with 70TL and 40L and I am so off balance.

I wonder if these bent knees and tendancy to put right foot forward will go away after the surgery or that is something I'd have to work on anyway. When people say they have good posture post-op - do they refer to staight back only or standing tall and strong without bending knees?

Comment

Irina,
            I can answer your question! After my first scoliosis surgery, I developed a sagittal imbalance due to poor surgical technique. My symptoms were exactly as you describe. I leaned forward with bent knees, and bent hips. It was very fatiguing for my legs and back. After my revision, I was able to stand straight and tall with no bent knees or hips because my body did not have to compensate anymore. My surgeon was able to add some lordosis in the lumbar spine with an osteotomy and properly balance my spine. After your surgery, you should be able to stand nice and straight!
            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Irina,
              I have a similar situation, but a different posture than you do. For about the last five years, I find myself standing with my heel of my left foot off the ground and only the ball of that foot on the ground. This seems to keep me from leaning to the left. I notice this when standing in the kitchen, changing clothes, whenever stationary, I am guessing. I, too, am hoping for better balance after surgery. All the best, Angie

Comment

Working...
              X