Trying to get up the courage to try using an escalator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get up the courage to try using an escalator

I'm now over 6 months post-op, and have recently been strongly encouraged by my husband to start using escalators once again. I still hobble quite a bit without a cane, so I still use it when I'm outside of my own house. While I don't really expect to fall or lose my balance using an escalator (no falls yet so far post-op..., though balance has been an issue in the shower a few times), I'm not quite brave enough to start using them once again -- especially within a busy mall with lots of people both ahead of me and behind me.

Have others that still use canes returned to using escalators post-op? If so, did you have any problems when doing so?

-- Thanks,
    Mary
    [who lost her job on July 25th when the company ceased all business operations and laid everybody off....]
    -- Mary D. Taffet
    Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
    Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Hi Mary,

You just reminded me of my first postop step onto an escalator. It was completely NOT planned as my daughter and I were at the mall and on a mission to get to Gap in search of jeans long enough for me. We walked out of Macy's, headed for the escalator because Gap was on level 2, I took my first step onto the escalator and said, "Oh... this is weird." My daughter looked at me and smiled saying, "This is your first time on an escalator since the surgery!" I suddenly started laughing because I had the vision of the movie Elf where Will Ferrell tries to leave one leg at the base of an escalator while his other leg is moving up the escalator resulting in a hilarious scene of him doing the splits. I said to Lizzie, "At least I'm not having an Elf moment!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1jaCR_rAzg

Have someone join you on your first few times.

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Mary,

I don't have an advice about an escalator use, but wanted to say sorry about your job loss. On the bright side, you don't have to worry about getting back to your old job and can take more time to recuperate.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Hi...

Escalators were never an issue with me postlop... even with a walker. Maybe it's because I've mostly lived and worked in relatively large cities where escalators are everywhere.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Use of Escalator

I found your post interesting as I am about 11 weeks post-op and was at the store not too long ago and saw the escalator. I looked around to ask someone where the elevator was as I was afraid to get on the escalator for fear of getting tripped up and I don't use a cane or a walker and I was afraid. My adult daughter was even with me and I still didn't want to get on it. All in due time....

Marjorie
          Marjorie

Surgery in 2 phases, May 17 & May 22, 2012
          Prior to surgery: Thoracic 75, Lumbar 45
          After surgery: Thoracic 27, Lumbar 28
          Surgeon: Dr. Nathan Lebwohl, Miami, FL

Comment

Working...
          X