Flexibility ? BEFORE vs. AFTER thoracic fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexibility ? BEFORE vs. AFTER thoracic fusion

I wasn't quite sure where to post this since the topic doesn't seem to fit anywhere. I was wondering about flexibility before vs. after a thoracic fusion (can include L1 & L2). For those of you who have had surgery already, was your flexibility reduced after surgery? I know that you are often given instruction not to do any twisting, so you may not be able to actually know.

The reason I ask this is because I started doing the torso rotation machine during my workouts. I found that I have VERY limited range of motion when my hips are locked into place. I can't move more than 12.5lb with comfort. If I try to use more weight or rotate past 30*, then I have pain in the thoracic area and trouble breathing. It feels like my ribs are being crammed into my lungs. My curves, in my own opinion, shouldn't be large enough to cause this. But I'm finding out that I just don't have any flexibility or strength there. It's odd to me and I never suspected that this would be a problem.

Thanks in advance,
    Rohrer01
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Hi...

I think it depends on the person. I've seen teens who have thoracic fusions perform things like ballet and gymnastics, so I think the loss of flexibility in a thoracic fusion is minimal.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm a little confused by your signature--have you had surgery yet? If so I don't see how on earth you're doing that exercise at all.

yes, my flexibility in the thoracic area is quite limited. I do work out, and only twist from my hips.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

No, I haven't had surgery. Sorry if my signature is confusing. I'll take a look at it to clear it up.

I'm just puzzled by my lack of flexibility since my curves are so high and not so terrible as compared to many people on here. I know I haven't self-fused because I get a lot of popping sounds coming from the thoracic area. I just can't twist as much as I think I should be able to.

My doc did tell me that my flexibility would remain pretty much the same as it was at the time. I'm just wondering why the lack of flexibility now. Maybe it's just age and lack of using that motion.

Thanks for the replies.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
        X