Surgery risks, paralysis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery risks, paralysis?

Hi, my daughter is 13 and has a curve of about 50 degrees. The doctor believes she needs the corrective surgery. I am trying to find out more about potential risks, but in every forum or information line I go to, everyone seams so casual about this surgery. Is anyone concerned about nerve damage or even paralysis? The doctor told me the risks are low 1 in 3,000 or so, that doesn't seam that low to me. Anyone knows people that had this tragedy happened after the scoliosis surgery? I wonder if there are some alternative methods for curves this high?

Is anyone concerned about nerve damage or even paralysis? You better believe we are! My 13 y.o. daughter had surgery six weeks ago and the first thing I did when walking into recovery, even though the doctor already told me she was moving her toes, was to check for myself. This surgery is not to be taken lightly. It is a major operation!

This is how I handled the issue with my daughter. I told her we trust in God and we trust our surgeon. That's all we could do. They monitor the kids' spinal column very closely during surgery.

We don't take any health issues lightly here and if it appears that we are, I'm sorry. I hope we can be of at least some support to you on this forum.

Mary Lou

Comment

My daughter has a curve of 65 degrees and is having surgery next tuesday. All the reassuring in the world is not going to make you stop worrying about everything that could go wrong. Mary Lou is right, you just have to trust in your surgeon. Ours is a very upbeat and optimistic man. I'm scared to death about what could happen. My biggest worry is that something is going to go wrong during the surgery and we are going to lose her altogether. But I try my hardest not to think about that. Everyone on the forum has been wonderful. I just think about how their kids had the surgery and they did just fine during and afterwards. It helps tremendously to talk to others that have already been through it. Think positive....that's all you can do.

Kim
      Keri's mom
      Surgery January 25, 2005

Comment

Thank you so much for your replies! I do trust my surgeon and have faith in God. I guess we haven't quite decided yet, since her curve is borderline (50 degrees) and could continue to get worst or may be not, if she should have the surgery or if we should wait. I'm trying to weight the risks with the benefits and I am not finding much information on cases where things went wrong during surgery, I guess that's a good thing!

Comment

Working...
        X