Rehab centre, after Surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rehab centre, after Surgery?

This will be my first time surgery, for kyphoscoliosis. Curve of 91 degrees, & ribs sitting on my hip/pelvis. I'm 61, I've had my consults with my surgeon. I'm on a wait list...but hopefully it will happen within a few months.
    Did any of you need to be in a rehab centre, after your surgery. I suppose, it really depends on how you have recovered. But if you were in rehab...do you think if was highly beneficial, in your recovery.
    Just curious...as I do think it's a great idea, especially when you are from a smaller city.
    Anxious to hear your replies, & thank you in advance!!
    Kootenaygal

Hi, I went to rehab for 11 days in between my two surgeries. I couldn't have done without it. I was 68 at the time and because of my age and my complicated surgery, my Doctor said it was a must. I needed all of the physical and occupational therapy that I could get. My experience at the rehab hospital was amazing. The food was good and the staff was excellent. Being on Medicare at the time, all of the costs were covered. Some insurances will not cover rehab hospitals.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I was willing to go to rehab if it was recommended because I thought it would be beneficial and easier on my husband. However, I didn't qualify to go because I was able to pass several tests, such as dressing, going up and down stairs, etc. I did fine at home, but my husband was there with me the majority of the time.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I have been very lucky as after both of my fusion surgeries I was able to go to rehab . I was there 2 weeks each time and it worked out to my advantage. When I got home, I was feeling much better and much more like myself.
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
        X