Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advise wanted

Hi!

I had my scoliosis corrected six years ago, at the age of 13. I had two curves, one which was over 70 degrees, I now have 4 screws and two rods in my spine. The operation was a success and I am able to lead a pretty normal life style.

I recently have been getting more back pains than I have done for a while and I get a lot of stiffness in my neck. My back feels like it needs to crack all the time and it's uncomfortable, obviously i cant crack my back because I can't bend my spine.

Does anyone else suffer with similar pains? Does anyone have any advise about exercises I could be doing?

Thanks, Suzi x

Post-Surgical Exercises

Hi! I just joined this forum and saw your message. I recently underwent a revision surgery (2003) for an "L" scoliotic curve. I now have two rods and lots of nuts and bolts that immobilize all of the sacral and lumbar regions of my back, and two thoracic vertebrae. I no longer suffer from a horrible "pinched nerve" or Flat-Back Syndrome, but I've developed another, unexpected problem - neck and upper back pain. My surgeon says this is not unusual. He recommended warm-water pool physical therapy (very soothing), gentle massage by a physiotherapist (it feels good when it's being done, but isn't very helpful afterward), and "electrical stimulation" with a TENS unit (same). However, I still feel the need for exercises I can do regularly at home. In that regard, I've recently heard about yoga for scoliosis patients. There's a woman who specializes in this and is holding a instructional retreats in Maine in June and September (see website www.Scoliyogi.com\ for detailed workshop descriptions), and there is a "Yoga For Scoliosis" DVD or video you can purchase through the National Scoliosis Foundation (www.scoliosis.org). 'Hope some of this info proves helpful! - Andra

Comment

Working...
    X