Good news!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news!!!

Hi everybody!! So i'm stuck in a brace at 53* thoracic curve and i went to my brace doctor who originally said that he might be able to bring me down to 30*(not knowing the fact that im 53* i dont know what my parents told him) well i went to him today and i showed him the brusies and everything and told him that im 48* in a brace and he said what r u with out the brace and i told him 53* and my parents ask him what do you think her curvature is in the brace right now and he said no less than 46*!!! He ask who my surgeon and i told him and he said that he and his protoche(pro- tow- shay) are one of the best scolisis surgeons in the world !! He said that he even met one of them in the morning today!!! My parents asked him is the brace or surgery a better option he said surgery!! Because the brace has very random outcomes it might be good or bad it all depends on how it was fitted surgery has much better out comes and my parents were like 0.0 so i *might* get surgery but my parents want to get another xray and talk to my surgeons

do u think i should get another two xrays cuz here are my xray dates and i dont want to get cancer from all that radiation

1/19/12
    3/3/12
    5/3/12

what do u think?!vdont forget that if i get surgery then ill havee to get an mri and more xrays etc.

Im sooo happy everything is coming together!

Originally posted by Kat3573 View Post
    protoche(pro- tow- shay)
    protégé - (pro-teh-jhay)

do u think i should get another two xrays cuz here are my xray dates and i dont want to get cancer from all that radiation

1/19/12
    3/3/12
    5/3/12

what do u think?!vdont forget that if i get surgery then ill havee to get an mri and more xrays etc.
    You are getting unnecessary radiation and it is unconscionable (un-CON-sheon-able).

Im sooo happy everything is coming together!
    I am also. You need to get away from the amateurs and back to an island of sanity with your surgeon.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

what wonderful news!
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I am happy for you too! If you are worried about the risk of radiation, then you need to talk with the doctor and ask the doctor [or he a guy or a girl????] about that and tell him/her that you are worried. Have the doctor explain to you how much radiation you are getting with each xray. It's YOUR BODY and if it worries you, ask questions....look it up on the internet.
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

That's good news for you! As far as x-rays go, since you have only had three, I'm quite confident you'll be fine. You will need an MRI for surgery and possibly a CT/myelogram, which gives a ton more radiation than x-rays and definitely more x-rays. But on the positive side, once this is all over with, you should need very few x-rays after you are all healed. Many of us get a lot of x-ray exposure. It comes with the territory of having scoliosis. If your curve is rapidly progressing, then they do x-ray every couple of months so they can determine your progression. I would insist on having them shield your breast area and your reproductive area. Sometimes they can't always do shielding because they may need to see an area of your spine that the shield interferes with, but if not, please insist.

I'm actually horrified that this guy put you in a brace without knowing your original curve size! How did he fit you for it without knowing that information? Did he put you in a randomly generic brace? I feel really bad about that and especially your bruising. That must be really painful. =(

When do you go back and see your surgeon?

Please keep us updated!
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
            That's good news for you! As far as x-rays go, since you have only had three, I'm quite confident you'll be fine. You will need an MRI for surgery and possibly a CT/myelogram, which gives a ton more radiation than x-rays and definitely more x-rays. But on the positive side, once this is all over with, you should need very few x-rays after you are all healed. Many of us get a lot of x-ray exposure. It comes with the territory of having scoliosis. If your curve is rapidly progressing, then they do x-ray every couple of months so they can determine your progression. I would insist on having them shield your breast area and your reproductive area. Sometimes they can't always do shielding because they may need to see an area of your spine that the shield interferes with, but if not, please insist.

I'm actually horrified that this guy put you in a brace without knowing your original curve size! How did he fit you for it without knowing that information? Did he put you in a randomly generic brace? I feel really bad about that and especially your bruising. That must be really painful. =(

When do you go back and see your surgeon?

Please keep us updated!
            I guess my parents told him I was in the 40's (which I originally was) 2 days ago I we t to him and he put in a pad he really wanted me to have surgery but my parents want me o grow to my ful height before surgery I'm seeing my surgeon in7 hours sooo ya probably tomorrow will be the day I parents will agree on surgery just pray/ hope that they do

Comment

Ve actually had 6 xrays 2 xrays on each date is that ok?

Comment

Hi Kat,

That is not much radiation exposure from 6 x-rays. Try not to worry about those. Insisting on shielding is a very good idea, though.

I am glad things are finally looking up for you. It was ridiculous for you to have to wear any brace, and at this point surgery is the best option. You surgeon should be able to reassure your parents about whether or not you will lose potential growth from surgery. Feel free to ask the surgeon whatever questions YOU want answered, too, even if you think they might sound dumb or something.

Good luck, and let us know how things go tomorrow!
                Gayle, age 50
                Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                  Hi Kat,

That is not much radiation exposure from 6 x-rays. Try not to worry about those. Insisting on shielding is a very good idea, though.

I am glad things are finally looking up for you. It was ridiculous for you to have to wear any brace, and at this point surgery is the best option. You surgeon should be able to reassure your parents about whether or not you will lose potential growth from surgery. Feel free to ask the surgeon whatever questions YOU want answered, too, even if you think they might sound dumb or something.

Good luck, and let us know how things go tomorrow!
                  I agree with Gayle.

Just remember, whenever you are in any room without the surgeon, you are the most informed person there. You will have better questions than anyone else. I am sorry you are surrounded by amateurs when not with the surgeon.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Yay!!! My surgery is on august 17 2012!!!
                    But I'm 59*
                    but who cares!!

Comment

Yay!!! My surgery is on august 17 2012!!!
                      But I'm 59*
                      but who cares!!
                      My kids were 57* and 58*. No worries.

Good luck, Kat. You will be a star! :-)

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                        My kids were 57* and 58*. No worries.

Good luck, Kat. You will be a star! :-)

That's why my nurse said
                        She said u will do really well
                        And
                        I like her!(I'm really funny in person!)

Comment

Hi Kat,

I'm glad your parents saw the light and you got your surgery scheduled. You will do great and have a quick recovery, I am sure.

Let us know how you're doing,
                          Gayle, age 50
                          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I'm really disappointed by the fact that I'm going to be fused from t2-L2 I'm afraid I won't be that flexible :/

Comment

I'm really disappointed by the fact that I'm going to be fused from t2-L2 I'm afraid I won't be that flexible :/
                              That is similar to the fusion for my kids... T4-L1 and they say it really doesn't affect them. They can't bend sideways where they are fused but they can below that. They can bend forward and backward and they have good posture.

Most people don't bend too much through the area you will be fused so it may not affect you at all.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X