Scheuermann's Kyphosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheuermann's Kyphosis

I have three daughters. Two with Scheuermann's Kyphosis and one with mild scoliosis. My youngest daughter, almost 13, wears a brace, when we can get it on her and get her to leave it on. She is very active with livestock and basketball this time of year, so makes it difficult to get the right amount of time, and the fact that it isn't comfortable. She's getting better about wearing it.

My middle daughter 14 1/2, has mild scoliosis and she is just being monitored right now. She too is active with livestock and plays high school basketball.

My oldest daughter is 16 1/2. She has surgery for her Scheuermann's Kyphosis on March 15, at Shriners Hospital in Portland, OR. Dr. Krajbich is her doc. The one thing I remember is the doc said that the surgery should only be posterior. Can any one tell me more.

Can anyone tell us what to expect after surgery. We, like many others, have only seen the doc once and won't see him again until the day before surgery. It was all a shock to have all three daughters diagnosed with these problems, I am afraid I didn't hear/remember a lot of what Dr. Krajbich said. What have been some of the average stays in the hospital for these surgeries. And, what about the average of being out of school. She is in High School. She is absolutely thrilled she gets to finish her basketball season before surgery, and should be healed up in time to play basketball next season.

As scary as having this surgery done might be, we are all excited. She has been teased terribly about her hump in her back. So bad, that we moved to a new school. The kids in her new school are very supportive and don't tease her. The kids in this school have a very low tolerance for that kind of behavior anyway.

Check the old posts from 'Matt'. He had the same surgery done last year. Even send him a personal message. I know he loves to help people.
    Cheryl.

Comment

Hello there

Hi there. My name is Ross (Ross is the real name, but it was taken, so I used Matt; if you were confused!) I'm a 15 year old boy from Louisiana. So how have you guys been? I had the Posterior Spinal Fusion with Instrumentation of a U Rod last September. I had it done at Shriners Hospital for Children in Shreveport, Louisiana. I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter has to have the SK surgery. It's a very life changing experience. It's a very long and very tough recovery. Not only should your daughter be well prepared, but so should you. After surgery, there will be lots of wires and tubes. But execpt for looking at them as a scary site, you have to remember that they are there to help your daughter get back on her feet. I hate to hear that your daugher had to change schools because of the critism. I had some people at my school like. They never said anything like that to me after the surgery. I was very self conscience and depressed about having to have the surgery. Just make sure that your daugher knows that you are there for her, just in case she wants to talk. And if you need someone to talk to, I am always here, and there are tons of moms and dads here just for that reason! I'm always here! And before I forget, Thank you Cheryl!!!!
      Hope that I can shine some light on your situation! Don't be afraid to ask me anything!! Best of wishes!! Ross
      Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
      www.myspace.com/ross40728
      Had surgery on 9/20/04
      81* Scheuermann's Disease
      40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
      U Rod Inserted
      Fused from T2-L3

Comment

Ross,
        Thank you so much for your reply. You really nailed my daughters feelings when you mentioned being depressed about her back. It's really hard for her to deal with her back emotionally because she has been teased for so long about it. She is going to go back to her old school to visit her Spanish Teacher after she has surgery and to just show the kids how different she will look. I had to take her to her med.doc. today to deal with some of the depression, remember this has been going on for years. Hopefully, correcting her back will help with the depression. I find I am even scared about this whole thing. But, then if I wasn't I would feel like I wasn't much of a parent. My husband is great. He is like a rock for the two of us when we get to crying. We have decided that we have to put this whole thing in God's hands and keep praying. Prayer got us this far. Crystal was really wanting to be able to finish basketball season before she had to have surgery, and she really wanted to have surgery sometime in March. She prayed and prayed. As you can see, her prayer got answered. She faces two more surgeries after her back is healed. Her feet will be the next issue. For as bad as her feet hurt, I don't know how she plays basketball at the level she does. She has an incredibly high pain tolerance is probably why. Her back hurts all the time and so do her feet. Thank you for your concern and I am sure we will be posting back and forth.
        Nikki

Comment

Hey Nikki!

Hi there Nikki. Like you said, all you can do is pray. I was diagnosed in March, and didn't have the surgery until late September, so I prayed alot. If you ever want to talk personally and not on a public site, my email address is hard_roc_child08@hotmail.com. I would really like to talk with you and your daughter(s). What kind of foot surgery is your daughter having? Right before my back surgery, I had to have 5 foot surgery from Dec. 2002 - Febuary 2004, because of Flat Feet. i'm glad to hear that your daughter is athletic. I wasn't very athletic because I had some many orthopedic problems since the 6th grade. Well, If you need to talk, I am always here! Hope to hear from you soon! Ross
          Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
          www.myspace.com/ross40728
          Had surgery on 9/20/04
          81* Scheuermann's Disease
          40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
          U Rod Inserted
          Fused from T2-L3

Comment

Working...
          X