How Many Post-Op Appointments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Post-Op Appointments?

I am curious how many post-op appointments do people usually have? Is it at 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and a year?

I am trying to figure out if I should even think about getting an opinion from the out of state surgeon (e.g. not within drivable distance). I want the best of the best opinion before I make a decision, but trying to think everything trough before spending money on travel.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Mine were at 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months and 12 months.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

The standard of care at most institutions is 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, and 12 months. It's possible that, after your 6 week follow-up, that you could have your follow-up done close to home.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Lind.... how willing are surgeons to cooperate with the work other surgeons have done...?
        are they not reluctant to help out, fearing blame may come their way....?
        i've heard doctors say so often..."well, you should see your original doctor for that..."
        and versions of that response....

only thing i'd be concerned about would be in case, heaven forbid, of complications...
        then, the closer the better, i'd think....
        that said, i am waiting to get my cortisol blood results before i call Dr Lonner...
        and he is 3 hours away from me by train....
        but well worth it, i think....
        if i could, i'd probably try to get into Lenke, just to see what he had to say, and he
        is waaaay further away for me...i doubt it would be different though....i've had 6 surgeones
        all agree on what i need....

where do you live, Irina....?
        why need out of state....?

jess...& Sparky
        Last edited by jrnyc; 06-19-2012, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
          Lind.... how willing are surgeons to cooperate with the work other surgeons have done...?
          are they not reluctant to help out, fearing blame may come their way....?
          i've heard doctors say so often..."well, you should see your original doctor for that..."
          and versions of that response....

only thing i'd be concerned about would be in case, heaven forbid, of complications...
          then, the closer the better, i'd think....
          that said, i am waiting to get my cortisol blood results before i call Dr Lonner...
          and he is 3 hours away from me by train....
          but well worth it, i think....
          if i could, i'd probably try to get into Lenke, just to see what he had to say, and he
          is waaaay further away for me...i doubt it would be different though....i've had 6 surgeones
          all agree on what i need....

where do you live, Irina....?
          why need out of state....?

jess...& Sparky
          Hi Jess...

I doubt any surgeon would be reluctant to see other surgeon's patients for the reason you mention. However, I don't think you'd get one of the big name surgeons to do standard follow-up care, as they don't have time for that sort of thing. We routinely have patients who stay near home for their follow-up.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I live in northern California, close to San Francisco. Had Lenke in mind for out-of-state consult because everybody talks so highly of him. But if it really comes down to surgery, I don't know if it's doable to have it done in Saint Lous (4 hour flight).

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
              I live in northern California, close to San Francisco. Had Lenke in mind for out-of-state consult because everybody talks so highly of him. But if it really comes down to surgery, I don't know if it's doable to have it done in Saint Lous (4 hour flight).
              There are many excellent doctors near you in SF as well as the rest of CA. I don't think you really have to travel far to get top of the line care
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Linda's right. But if you do go to Lenke, know that I only had to do a 5-week and then straight to 6 months. No 3-month follow up.
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I am curious how many post-op appointments do people usually have? Is it at 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and a year?
                  My surgery was on January 23rd. My first follow-up was on February 9th (about 2 1/2 weeks later), at which time the dressing was removed and I was given clearance to get my incision wet when bathing. My second follow-up was on April 5th (about 10 1/2 weeks later -- a bit more than 2 months). My third follow-up is scheduled for July 5th (about 23 1/2 weeks later -- a bit more than 5 months). I don't yet know when the next one after that will be, but I'm guessing based on some things I've seen that it will likely be in October sometime.

One thing that I should perhaps mention is that none of the follow-up appointments I've had so far have been with the actual surgeon. All of them so far have been with the "Orthopedic Spine Fellow". So far, it's been a person who was present during my surgery and assisted with the surgery. But I don't know if it will be the same person in July (med school-related fellowships tend to change on July 1st every year). I'll have to admit that I was quite surprised at the first follow-up to not be seeing the surgeon himself. The surgeon spoke to me as if he would be seeing me after the surgery -- so maybe a future follow-up will be with him, but I don't know at what point that might be.
                  -- Mary D. Taffet
                  Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
                  Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

I am trying to figure out if I should even think about getting an opinion from the out of state surgeon (e.g. not within drivable distance). I want the best of the best opinion before I make a decision, but trying to think everything trough before spending money on travel.
                    I would suggest having surgery close to where you live. UCSF has a great reputation. If you have a problem postop and your surgeon is 4 hours away by plane, what would you do? And what do you do after surgery? I imagine having a 4 hour plane ride might be difficult. How many spine surgeons are at UCSF? I haven't looked into their surgeons other than Dr. Hu, but Linda could tell you. And I am sure that there are other spine centers in California. I suggest that you stay in California if possible. Susan
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I was 7 hours away driving time from Dr. Lenke. I was in Saint Louis for hospital/rehab for 2 weeks and then went back at 3 months. He had a local doctor who does back surgeries see me for the follow up at 6 months so I didn't have to make another trip. I didn't know it but he had trained with Lenke. The local dr. said if I had seen you first I would have sent you straight to Dr. Lenke. The number of adult scoliosis surgeries they do is so so important. Adolescent surgeries is a whole other thing or I could have gone to Iowa City. I went at 1 yr. and 2 yrs. and not again until 5, I think. Janet
                      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                        Linda's right. But if you do go to Lenke, know that I only had to do a 5-week and then straight to 6 months. No 3-month follow up.
                        This is very helpful, Evelyn. Of course, it is easier and more logical to stay in CA, but I just don't hear much from Californians here. Are they all shy readers? Seems to me to that the majority of happy patients are mostly Lenke's, but may be I'm wrong. May be it's just some strange demographic and I am analyzing too much...

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                          If you have a problem postop and your surgeon is 4 hours away by plane, what would you do? And what do you do after surgery? I imagine having a 4 hour plane ride might be difficult.
                          Susan, this is what worries me and that's why I am thinking it all thru now - how to get home, number of follow-ups, what if something goes wrong. I don't want to spend money on travel if I know ahead of time that Lenke is not an option.

Comment

Well, I am a Californian and would recommend my surgeon to you in a minute. But he is in south CA . I know that there is a Dr Hu in SF that is known to be a good surgeon
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                              Well, I am a Californian and would recommend my surgeon to you in a minute. But he is in south CA . I know that there is a Dr Hu in SF that is known to be a good surgeon
                              Hi Melissa,

I am trying to get an appt with Dr. Hu - waiting for a call back... Thank you for recommending your doctor. You seem to be very happy with him, right? Do you know anything about Dr. Pashman in LA? I read a few good reviews here about him, as well as a book written by one of his patients.
                              Last edited by Irina; 06-20-2012, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X